282/HC DR/300 DR or 282/SC DR/250 DR

I will not attempt to sway you @IanRobertM, but I will relate a short story that may surprise you a little…

When my wife and I went to a well known Suffolk dealer to demo the Dynaudio Evoke 50’s they setup the following system for us:

*SN3, HiCap DR
(the closest they could get to my 202/HiCap DR/200 system)
*LP12 Akurate
(the closest they could get to my LP12 config)
*Cyrus Signature Phono Stage
(this I took with me)

They set it all up and connected the Cyrus using a Tellerium Q - Blue RCA to RCA IC.

The first track on my demo list is always Paul Simon ‘Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes’.
Within seconds of the song starting my wife and I looked at each other and we were surprised at how unpleasant the sound was. Mrs QS immediately said that it sounded horrible and was making her head hurt.
Mike stopped the playback immediately and said that he’d change the cable.
He installed a Tellerium Q Black Diamond, a £1000 cable🫣
The sound that came out when the demo restarted was completely different. We were both smiling in moments and the whole experience became a real pleasure.
Now the moral of this story is that my wife doesn’t understand the technology, but she knows what she likes when she hears it. There is no way she was thinking about cables or components, just what she heard. That cable change made all the difference to her.
Needless to say, we didn’t buy the cable and if I’d taken my own Van Den Hul cable with me, this story may well have been very different…:man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I do not dispute that people may hear differences, between cables. If they think its ‘better’ and are prepared to pay the (high) price, so be it… :expressionless:

The only cable ‘upgrades’ I have ever done are -

• Grey to Black SNAIC’s (cost about £60, pre-loved)
  • NAC A4 to A5 speaker leads (cost about £140, pre-loved)

YMMV, but thats fine… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Wow!:open_mouth:
So this turned up really quickly.

Naim HiLine RCA to DIN
I know that the “cool kids” (@Alley_Cat) would say;
“…hold off installing it for a few weeks to fully appreciate the difference.”
…but I’m far to impatient for that :wink: :rofl:

7 Likes

I’d probably be impatient to try it too.

If it sounds better than the VdH great, if not keep it for another (new :smiling_imp:?) source or you’d probably get a good price selling it on.

1 Like

I could switch it to my CD player I suppose. It only cost 13 times more than the player did…:thinking: :wink: :joy:

1 Like

If you mean the PS 1, I thought it was around £170-£180 at the time?

Or it one of those cheap players that comes with a box of breakfast cereal?

No, I bought it preloved on eBay earlier this year for the princely sum of £35, plus Cable & Remote control. Total solution cost was in fact just shy of £105🤷🏻‍♂️

The Playstation or a CD player?

Note: My memory is failing, the original was the PlayStation, The PS One was a later model.

Bingo:

:smiley_cat: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

PS1. The remote is the one released for the PS2, but satisfies the requirement🙂

Now you’re in business😁

1 Like

Sorry, I meant the first PlayStation was simply named PlayStation it seems even though it made sense to call it PS1 earlier. The Playstation One was different according to a wikipeida article.

Interesting to see the original PlayStation in Japan had S-Video out.

I think I have a PS3 remote somewhere I wonder if that’ll work - interestingly I bought that as an ‘affordable’ BluRay player all those years ago with the bonus of games.

No idea, but worth a try.
You can use a game paddle. I bought one of those too, but it was annoying to have to keep walking across the room etc, so spent the £20ish for the remote.
It comes in 2 parts. The remote itself, plus a receiver that plugs in to a game paddle port.

2 Likes

Surprising I never bought a PS remote to be honest but I hated CDs at that time.

The plug in ‘receiver’ is likely to be the stumbling point as the PS3 remote didn’t need one.

Here’s a link to the thread started by @knaithrover, when he and I were first discussing the PS One as a CDP…

2 Likes

Yes, you need to conserve energy for the vinyl side changes instead of wasting it on CDs. :joy:

1 Like

To @ratrat and any others that wondered how I chose my final solution (please see profile).
I started my Naim journey just 1 year ago. In fact the first system wasn’t actually installed until the 2nd October 2022, which will be a year on Monday.
That first system was a NAC 202, NAPSC, HiCap DR, NAP 200 DR, Dynaudio Evoke 50’s.
Sources were my LP12 (pre Lingo 4) and my MacBook Pro through an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt for streaming from Qobuz.
My problems with the Dynaudio’s are well documented (Bass bloom predominantly).
It soon became clear that I wanted more from the system than it was capable of delivering. This, in fairness, turned out to be the Dynaudio’s and my space rather than the electronics.
I resolved early in 2023 to seek a system with more capability and the NSC 222/250 or the NSC 222 with Active ATC’s appeared to be perfectly placed to resolve my issues.
The NSC 222 in both configurations seemed made to measure in dealer suite demos. However, not so much in my space.
The ATC’s in Active configuration really didn’t thrill me at all and I was beginning to see the NSC 222 as a bit of a cul-de-sac.
I started exploring other options and with the 222 dropping on the market, the ‘Classic’ range being discontinued and the rumours around other NC products, I saw an opportunity to move up.
The demos I arranged are documented further up in this thread, but suffice to say I definitely felt I was going in the right direction.
Barring the addition of an additional HiCap DR and either 1 or 2 Rel T5/x’s I am at my end game system.
It has also resulted in me building a system for my wife from the 202/200, which she is equally thrilled with.
I hope this answers the question you posed @ratrat. Sorry it’s a bit long and wordy…:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Lovely, I feel much better about my pace of change now :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.