Using Sony PS1 as a CD player

Hi guys
Split this off from the “Pics from the Listening Position” thread to continue the discussion.
@knaithrover, can we expand on the conversation here.
KR Simon

1 Like

I’m here!!

I will confirm the remote details and post some proper pics of the ps1 later today

2 Likes

Followed up with the seller. It definitely has the RCA output ports. According to him the 1001 was only released in America and the UK 1002 was the equivalent spec.
I must admit, when surfing eBay, all the 1001 seemed to be from US Sellers🤔

I’m going to have to take the case off mine to check, I suspect it might have an rca converter under there…

2 Likes

It’s a ps2 remote

2 Likes

That’s the internals. It’s completely stripped out and been rehoused in the wooden case with what looks like RCA’s added. The serial numbers indicate it’s an scph 1000 board which is the original Japanese version

2 Likes

This explains it.

The SCPH 1000, 1001 & 1002 all have the same dac

1 Like

Goodness sir, I honestly didn’t expect you to dismantle it. Very generous of you.
Intriguing version detail as well.
Japanese release😳
Well, let’s see how this 1002 goes when it arrives and then I’ll look into RC options. :blush:

I was a bit worried it would fall to pieces as I know very little about it, curiosity got the better of me though!! Fortunately it’s gone back together ok.

1 Like

Moved from the other thread … Interesting this, I have a very early PS 1 in the loft that I bought in Tokyo the day after they came out … queue was too long on the first day! I’ll have to dig it out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So do you have a transformer since it’s the Japanese version? I had to get one for mine when I got home.

Do a search for ps1 on 6 moons and you might find this.

2 Likes

I had to go and dig it out :slightly_smiling_face:

SCPH-1000 … needs a good clean :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’ve heard of using play stations to extract SACD. But using a PS as a CD player that was way old school. Like 15 years ago . And the common consensus was it really didn’t sound that good.
There was also some BS way back about Radio shack portable CD players having some super magical sonics.

1 Like

Mine was modded before I bought it

I can only speak from my experience but mine sounds very very good. That said I’m not 100% sure what mods have been applied

I tell you what, for £100 outlay and not currently having a CD player at all, it can’t be any worse😂
I’m really looking forward to it all turning up next week and trying it out.
Quick question, as I’m using the RCA CD connections already for my DragonFly, does it matter which DIN connector I use for the PS1?:thinking:

1 Like

It has arrived!

Powers up fine, just waiting on the Cable & Controller that are due this week. Hopefully all up and running by Thursday :crossed_fingers:t4: :blush:

1 Like

And then metal gear solid.

4 Likes

Heh?:man_shrugging:t2:
Is that like a FlatCap for PS1…?:thinking:

1 Like