282/HC DR/300 DR or 282/SC DR/250 DR

It won’t be a mental separates system @Tapp, but thank you for the comment😉
It will be my 30 year old Project Perspective with GR 1042 into a Stageline N and a Mac Mini M1 into a DAC V1 feeding, a 202/NapSC/200 and out through my recently Serviced/Upgraded 30 year old Linn Keilidh’s.
I should think it would be on a par with an SN3 replacing everything except the DAC, but why change to an SN3 when all I needed to buy was the preloved Stageline. Besides, the view that separates beat integrated in the “World of Naim” so it made senses to me to just keep it all :man_shrugging:t4: :blush:

Had a 250DR…

Now have a 300DR. Wont be changing back.
Nuff said.

4 Likes

I actually own all the components in my two systems and ‘naturally’ tested all of the combos :slight_smile: A bit of a pain in the proverbial… moving all the boxes. But had to be done.

And to my ears, in my two rooms 282 is best paired with a HC DR and 250 DR.
I kept a SC DR to power my SuperLine.
Probably my biggest dissapointment, if I may use that word, was adding a SuperCap DR to 282. I feel it pushed the pre-amp into a territory where it was no longer ‘happy’.

So I ended up with two orthodox systems: 282 + HC DR + 250 DR and a separate one 252 + SC DR + 300 DR.

7 Likes

That’s a real surprise. When I listened to it yesterday, albeit very briefly, I found it very effective in improving the sound from my potential new setup :thinking:

My experience was very similar to Adams. I felt that the 282 was happier with a Hicap, which is what Naim designed it to run from. The Supercap was initially more impressive, but each time I went back to a Hicap it just sounded right.

5 Likes

Different ears, different examples of the boxes, different tastes…

On my 82, found 1 Hicap was beaten by 2, which was beaten by.a Supercap. However, I got more ‘impression of extra detail’ than actual extra detail - to me, both steps were small. What made the SC worthwhile was only that it was a necessary step toward getting a 52.

From threads here, it looks clear that some people hear a good deal more difference than I do, some hear a modest slice of ‘different but not necessarily better, some hear no difference and some find the SC option a bit pushy even when it should be relaxed (if you see what I mean).

4 Likes

I think the key here is to listen extensively and settle on whatever works for you.

The system is for you, not for the audience of this forum, and it has to work in your room with your speakers.

Whichever set up you end up choosing this will be your best choice.

2 Likes

Absolutely, but it is always interesting to hear the experiences of others. Lots of Naim experience here😊

1 Like

Mine was the complete opposite. Was a bit underwhelmed with the 282/HicapDR I found the SCDR transformed it.

It all comes down to system matching and demoing in your own system if you can.

Personally, I think the 300DR needs a great source and at least a 252

3 Likes

When I went from 200DR to 300DR it was amazing - but a lot was because my Speakers really needed something better than a 200DR.
In your case another option is Supercap and 252 leaving the 200DR for now.
Later when the new 300 series power amps come out secondhand prices on 300DR will likely fall.
As other say a lot is on what sounds best to you - but until I got my SOPRA2’s the 252/SC/200 combo was great.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with the speakers needing more. My Evoke 50’s are definitely needing more than the 200.
300/HC DR or 250/SC DR are both viable options that I am considering. 300/SC DR is also an option, but may need to wait for the SC as it’s not a solution that’s in the current budget. :thinking:

1 Like

FWIW… When I ran a ran my 282 w/HiCapDR into a 250 DR and it was fantastic. There was a lovely uplift to the system when I added the SuperCapDR.

With that said if I had to pay full price for the SuperCapDR I would have not pulled the trigger. I made the move when Naim offered a 20% discount, my dealer included a store discount and gave a generous trade in value on my HiCapDR and a pair of ATC SCM 7 speakers I bought from them a couple of years earlier.

In your shoes I would choose the 282/SC DR/250 DR system and sit with that for a couple of months. Then have a home demo of the 300 DR after the release of the new 300 mono blocks in the fall when pricing on the earlier 300 DR new and used units most likely be more favorably priced.

Good luck with your decision…

2 Likes

It looks as if we all think 282/HC/250 is great and well balanced, with nothing showing anything else up.

I think most here agree 252/SC/ 250 is better, and that 252/SCDR/300DR is better again.

If you want more than a 282 can give but without a bill that would buy a small car, how about (serviced) 52/SC/135s? Event those of us with 300DRs would agree (see other threads) that that combo gives remarkable sound per £, comfortably ahead of 282/HC/250. Just a thought.

4 Likes

Hi QuickSticks, I back the people who say that 282/SCDR/250DR is the way to go. A few years ago I stumbled on this combination by luck - having the upgrade itch but not really the cash to make a significant difference. I found an SCDR being sold for £2.3K. It replaced an HCDR.
To say it was a revelation is an understatement! For example, I now could hear what a difference it made ensuring my mains and signal cables were properly routed and kept a reasonable distance apart- 3cm minimum in my setup, which is quite right on space. So for the past few years, I have been very content to consider this as my ‘destination’ set up. Clearly there is better out there at a price, but what I have gives me loads of enjoyment and I no longer listen and think if only this or that aspect of the sound was better.
Best wishes Amer

4 Likes

Thank you for your impressions.
I must admit, I found the brief listening session I had with the 282/SC DR/250 DR at the end of last Saturdays demo session was very revealing.
I will still be listening to the 300 DR with my HC DR just to complete the cycle, but I think the SC/250 is quite likely the way forward. :wink:

4 Likes

I am one of those with 282/HCDR/250DR with a Chord Dave/MScaler.

It sounded really good, but wasn’t holding my attention and I wasn’t coming home and wanting to listen to it right away.

So I knew something was off.

These thoughts of getting a Supercap DR and 300 DR were really tempting.

However what solved the issue was putting a Naim Powerline on Chord Dave.

Now it’s doing exactly what I expected.

3 Likes

Nac 252- SuperCap-250/2
Superb system.
Anyway I get you own Dynaudio Evoke 50?
Sorry, but an awful bottleneck in such a company

Could you explain what you mean?:thinking:

Sure
you’re into an upgrade your speaker will never properly expose.

1 Like

I appreciate your opinion, but I’m quite happy with my chosen speaker…:wink: