282/HC DR/300 DR or 282/SC DR/250 DR

good, then

The 282/HC vs 282/2xHC vs 282/SC has been debated ad nauseum on this forum. The result appears to be solely personal preference. Which rather mandates an individual, in-person demo to make a decision.

1 Like

All in hand😉

I do agree. Myself also running my system into Dynaudio focus 260

I needed a contour level speaker with my system at least

It’s down to what sound you prefer- I’ve got old Dynaudio Audience 50s when they were floor standers - at the time I preferred their sound to the more expensive Contours. They have easily shown up any tweaking I’ve done over the years, be it mains leads, interconnects or minor changes in equipment support. They fit well in my living room decor, so no desire to get anything else.
I have gradually upgraded to 282/SCDR/250DR and the Audience have kept up as far as I am concerned. Best wishes Amer

2 Likes

Thanks for the post

I once auditioned the Dynaudio Heritage, I liked them immensely but a bookshelf speaker is out because of my cat who likes to jump on the speakers and topple them. And surprisingly the SQ difference against my Focus 260 was not impressive to my wife who ruled out the upgrade (which she usually never does). To me though it was a more refined speaker.

Anyway - my benchmark is the C2 Platinum - I love the massive 3d soundstage it can give with a source like Chord Dave (something the heritage did better than the F260) - but again they’re too big, and as I said earlier a Naim power line on my Chord Dave is a big upgrade and keeps me engaged with the music for hours now which is what I wanted.

What is your source Amer?

Tomorrow’s the big day.
282 is coming tomorrow along with the 300 DR that’s being tested.
It’s all quite exciting really…:blush:

6 Likes

Be really interested to hear how you get on, fingers crossed you’ll be happy with the outcome.

1 Like

Full details will be posted later this week.
Annoyingly, I’m really busy Thursday and Friday :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I added a SCDR to my 282 last year, I’m not entirely convinced if I’m honest, but it was with a view to eventually getting a 252 which may have been a bad idea now.

I had old HICAPs and 2 were different to 1 but more clinical for mew and maybe lost a bit of the fun. Others will have had different experiences.

Home demoed 300DR with the 282 compared to olive NAP 250 and it was probably the most striking uplift of anything I’d tried up to that point, just more authority/grip on everything and great low volume listening. Trouble was this was either with old Epos ES14s or my SBLs in passive configuration and I was intending to go active with the SBLs again and my old active crossover would not allow separate spec amps for HF/LF. I subsequently got a SNAXO 242 and have wondered if the SCDR woudl be better on that than the 282 but it would require the relevant Burndy to find out properly.

I still wonder if I’d have been better off staying passive with the 300DR.

4 Likes

Well, the 282/250 DR was very much more in command of the Evoke’s. When we added the SC DR at the end of the session it presented very favourably, but it was A) Cold & B) a pretty short session. Just 30-45 minutes.
I’m looking forward to hearing the 300 in my own listening room tomorrow :blush:

1 Like

I think the naming of the amps doesn’t really convey the sheer gulf between 250/250DR and a 300DR - to me it was immense, and the 250DR I also tried was a modest uplift vs my serviced olive NAP 250 but not in the same league as the 300DR. I hope you find the same to be honest, but if not that’s the reason for demoing/comparing them.

If it’s between 300DR and SCDR, even with additional cost I think I’d go 300DR personally with a 282.

As I mentioned I had envisaged eventually getting a 252 but the SCDR has also provided options with the SNAXO 242 and potentially a Superline should I want to go that route, pre-loved I assume now.

Nice to have options :wink:

3 Likes

My reaction as well to replacing 250DR with 300DR.
I imagined it could be good but, as I posted here back then…‘oh my, oh…my…’

2 Likes

The better the source and pre-amp: the more significant difference there is between the 250DR and 300DR.

4 Likes

…AND THE WINNER IS… :drum: :drum: :drum: :drum:
282/HiCap DR/300 DR :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:
Tony from Basically Sound arrived before 11:00 and by 12:30 the new system was built and running.

It took literally seconds to realise that this was something special.
Every single piece of music played so far has been delivered in a revelatory manner. Detail, Control, Sound Stage, noise floor and all the other jargon “Buzz Words” have been taken to a whole new level.
I am a very happy chap…:wink:

16 Likes

A preloved Naim HiLine RCA to 5 Pin Din has just flagged on my radar.
Looks in great condition and fully boxed etc, for less than £460.
It would go from my Cyrus Phono Stage to 282.
This has got to be an improvement on the RCA to RCA Van Den Hul cable currently performing the connection, hasn’t it?
Seems like a fabulous deal at that price too…:thinking:

Pleased for you @QuickSticks :grin:
You can now go through you’re whole back catalogue with anticipated excitement :wink:

Enjoy it! :+1:

2 Likes

I use a HiLine cable between my NDX 2 and NAC 282 and found it to be a lovely uplift.

Pick it up an let your system run in for a few weeks and get used to the sound. Then install the HiLine and listen for a few weeks, If it does not work out you can always resell. Better then paying full price…

2 Likes

I think you’re right @seakayaker, roads not travelled and all that🙂
Edit
Done! Should be here in a couple of days😊

1 Like

Potentially. For turntable sources I like the Naim RCA/DIN Lavender over the Hiline. For digital it’s the opposite and the HiLine excels.