282 pre or NDX source upgrade

Question there: if my end game is my current setup with 282 / 2x Hicap DR / 300DR would a NDX 2 (and eventually later with a suitable PS) be the most balanced system or would I gain significantly more with either a NDS+some PS or ND555 not being (much) restrained by my 282/2x HicapDR?

I’m also a fan of the Zigbee remote. I use it all the time. Since I use Roon I essentially never use the Naim app.

1 Like

It does seem an odd choice to me, to provide a fancy Zigbee remote, and yet remove the ability to control the UPnP input that the old remote had.

Which pre amplifier do you have?
The fact that he has a 282 only, reinforces my opinion, that upgrading the pre to a 252+p.s level, is the required upgrade,first .
The “source first” mantra is true in most cases,
Not in this case, which has an excellent source.
And forgive me the forum’s scholars …

282 - Perfectly capable of revealing source improvements.

At this point you are wrong.
The musical upgrade you get in replacing the 282 to 252 with a good p.s like s.c dr, will be worthless than you will get into the streamers upgrade.
At the end of the day is the most significant element of Naim’s hierarchy.

Whilst your post doesn’t seem to make sense in all due respect having made this move and found it very successful I’ll be the judge of this. The upgrade from NDX to NDS was the largest upgrade I have made even with an inferior 282.

Good luck

You really shouldn’t say so categorically ‘you are wrong’. In you your opinion the 252 is a better idea than a source upgrade, but that’s as far as it goes. It’s not a case of right and wrong.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s more about balance that is pleasing to the user. My next plan will go against conventional wisdom and upgrade to a 300DR before I consider a 252. My speakers will love me for it.

i can second this approach from my own experience that the change from a 200dr, to a 250dr and at last to a 300dr was entirely game changing with my speakers. however i have also heard only marginal improvements at best with my fathers speakers neat motive sx2. so make sure to give it a try within your own walls before you pull the trigger.

1 Like

I didn’t know it was called ‘Zigbee’. I love it too!

G

My Zigbee is collecting dust sitting on the rack. I only use the app to switch between Core, Tidal or Internet radio. The app for me is so much simpler to use.

Maybe I’ll try the Zigbee again before putting it back in the box in the loft :wink:

Maybe the next version will be Florence.

That’s Zebedee you are thinking of, not Zigbee. Time for bed!

Well yes, obvs. Play on words, dear boy, play on words.

You are too subtle for me Nigel…

Zigbee is an ultra low power wireless type protocol that is used for home automation/IoT uses and other ultra low power, low bamdwidth relatively short range use cases.
It’s used instead of Bluetooth, infrared or ultrasonic modulation and provides two way communication as well as being hugely efficient. Zigbee is used for example by the Philips Hue home automation and lighting system. Zigbee specifically frequency hops around the frequency spectrum used for network Wifi.
Some Zigbee controllers are so low power, that they can be energised from the kinetic energy of physically pressing a button… neat.

1 Like

Since there is nothing remotely like consensus here, do you have access to a dealer who can show you what a 555PS, XPS, SC, 252, and NDX2 can each do?

I think this is the only chance you have of finding out how to best spend your hard earned money. We can all tell you want we’d do (or have done) but unfortunately, what constitutes a meaningful upgrade is subject to huge disagreement and ultimately, only your opinion counts.

2 Likes

i would go for nds/ xps2 second hand. For 5k it would be the most uplift ( vs ndx bare) More than 252 vs 282. I had these components at home, except ndx.