2x555DR vs. 1x555DR on a ND555

I wish i can use 2 my ps with both CD555 and nd555 without playing with the cables

Adaptor or something, it is not too much to ask:)

I’m thinking to add a second 555psdr to my Nd555,my question is how much More improvement I can get? needs your experience… thanks.

I added a second CD555PSDR to mine about four weeks ago. It was after the system had been powered down for several weeks while I had a dedicated consumer unit and three mains radials installed. I also had the crossovers serviced in the downtime and made more space around the brain components by choice of an extra Fraim. So there’s been a lot changed here. At first I was not so impressed, but I know the NAC552 takes about a week to come on song after being powered down. But it still sounded rather boomy compared to what I had been used to, but still I wasn’t prepared to blame the new PS. I can say that it’s only in the last few days that it has started to sound better than it did before and I’ve no reason to assume it’s stopped improving. I hate the Hifi cliches, but it really is like lifting a veil off the speakers or opening a window on the sound. Everything is sharper - attack and decay of notes is that bit cleaner, more controlled, which must help with timing and the overall musical experience. I’d say that the overall improvement I’m experiencing is similar to the step from NDS to ND555. But is that due to the second power supply? Or the dedicated mains? Or the serviced crossovers? It’s probably the combination of all three (as well as the extra space round the ND555). All I can say is that it’s now sounding very good indeed.

4 Likes

It`s to complicate to realize your upgrade only for your additional 555ps as you did also some others changes

It’s something you have to try for yourself. You might not hear a difference that you like. You might not hear one at all.

Our ND555 started life with two PSs so I’m not qualified to comment on the potential improvement. Adding a second PS to our old NDS resulted in a considerable lift in performance - more than we expected or thought possible. I have learned that making something sound different is not necessarily to make it sound better. And also that something which I think sounds perfect can probably be bettered. Sooner or later. The ND555 has been a voyage of discovery in this respect, both because of its abilities and its sensitivity to all kinds of things the NDS wasn’t affected by.

Something that is a significant addition to the musical enjoyment - for me at least - that I have heard particularly with Fraim, dedicated mains, adding a second 555PS-DR to the NDS and replacing NDS with ND555 is what is lost as well as what is gained. Everything just sounds so much more simple, uncluttered, natural. The music seems to break free of the HiFi.

Clive, I’ll see your week and raise you another. Our system will be powered up after a month’s rest on December 1st and it won’t sound it’s best until the 14-15th at the earliest. Although it won’t exactly sound bad in the interim.

3 Likes

Ordered today a second 555psdr to my Nd555, I will get it at the end of the month,hopefully not to be disappointed… life is too short

6 Likes

I think you will very pleased…its on my shopping list for 2020, it just brings out an even lovelier sound, keep us posted when it arrives👍

2 Likes

I don’t really understand your choice Meni. You have created a topic “ something is missing…” because you were disappointed of the sound of your system in your room. You have changed nothing yet but agreed having received appropriate advises.
So before doing a correct and finally easy changement in set up, you prefer first to buy a second 555 dr for your system. Strange choice.

1 Like

I was considering the upgrade myself.
But, after my recent speakers change, funds won’t allow it.
Anyway, my actual rack is full.
Adding a second power supply certainly allow better resolution, which is something quite enjoyable.

I will post

Everything sound very good now ,no complains, what was before everything needed to run more So I was unhappy now after running it’s very good

Ah, you didn’t tell us, so couldn’t guess. So good news finally.

I didn`t tell because I believe it can sound much better taking out the box between the speakers and divide my fraim into two,but without doing anything sound became much better after running longer my devices

2 Likes

I have just upgraded to a 2nd CD555PS. What can I say - it makes a big difference. I could never go back now.

Sound stage is so much wider and more forward. Music is just much more enjoyable. If you’re on the fence about getting another one, just do it!

2 Likes

One for next year , glad its working for you👍

1 Like

Malla…great description …thats what Im looking for,wider sound stage and music forward

1 Like

A bit last century but on my CD555 I went from one to two power supplies. One upgraded to DR and the other new with DR. I did not want to go back to one PS, BUT its imporant to get the Brundy cables sorted. Your friendly Naim dealer should do this on site for a PS at nearly £7K or so.
Over the years I have found just connecting a Naim system together and hoping it will be OK will not work. Cable dressing and regular cleaning of contacts make all the difference.
A good dealer is a real asset.

1 Like

Very true. My dealer is excellent. Been selling hifi for over 20 years.

malla
I understand that your chord music is your interconnect between nd555/552…if so did you compare it to other cables when you decided at the end to stay with those one?

Used to have high end Nordost. Moved over to Chord when they first released the Indigo then Sarum then Music. What can I say - if you want the best, this is it. You can’t really compare to Naim cables - it’s simply in a different league.

The only Naim cable that I bought separately and is good, is the Super Lumina speaker cable but we all know who makes that for them.

1 Like