300 Series

Why does carrying coals to Newcastle spring to mind. Why send it back to Salisbury. I guess there must be a good reason

Naim has gone big on saying that everything is tested at HQ so quality control and marketing are the reasons I would guess.

Itā€™s just a manufacturing facility in Slovakia. They need sales, marketing and distribution facilities, and possibly testing and retail packaging etc. which is all handled in Salisbury.

Thatā€™s interesting to see, itā€™s clearly etched on the back panel which is part of the assembled unit. (Or is it a sticker? Doesnā€™t line up on the left hand side)
I couldnā€™t find a ā€œmade in Salisburyā€ (or made in uk?) photo but Iā€™m sure one will turn up soon.
Or they leave it like this for the uk ones:

(Edited)
Hereā€™s a retail one made in Salisbury- as I guessed, no overlay sticker.

2 Likes

Hardly a strong argument for having the parts sent outside the UK

@110dB - why not have another UK site to handle PCB assembly when production capacity is exceeded at Salisbury?

This was already covered on earlier threads. From what I gather, the extra capacity and the additional skilled personnel proved difficult to find locally, and so working with their existing partner in Slovakia gave Naim just what they needed.

1 Like

People have short memories, or so it seems. It looks as though weā€™ll have to endure the ā€˜I know better than Naimā€™ posts all over again.

1 Like

And especially that the price of the finished product is as high as an English product and not a Slovakian oneā€¦

Iā€™d be more than happy if my units were assembled in Slovakia, what exactly is the problem? Is there some sort of weird myopic perception that they will somehow be inferior to the Salisbury assembled units? Why and why should they be cheaper? FWIW in any experience that I have had the standard of workmanship, attention to detail and overall work ethic of eastern europeans vastly outstrips in general terms that of local equivalents.

8 Likes

If we have to go through all of this again can we at least get the country right?

We are discussing expensive leisure devices devices here/
And just as you would not buy a SEIKO watch, no matter how great it is, and would prefer, for example, OMEGA or another Swiss brand, or alternatively an electric car made in China, which meets all the highest quality standards, and would prefer TESLA or AUDI, so in our case -
The basic reason for purchasing the products is the brand name and the place of manufacture, Some people see the fact that the devices were built in Slovakia and not in Salisbury as blasphemy and I certainly understand them.

Please note that itā€™s Slovakia, not Slovenia. I have edited for you.

2 Likes

Oopsā€¦
One of the symptoms of advanced age :wink:

Funny you mention Audi. Did you know that Slovakia builds more cars per capita than anywhere else in the world? One of the biggest companies there is VAG - for example, the Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, and Lamborghini Urus are made in their factory in Bratislava. IIRc, Jaguar Land Rover also build the Discovery in Slovakia.

p.s. thereā€™s nothing at all wrong with Seiko - one of the worldā€™s great watch brands.

11 Likes

I keep popping into this thread hoping for some proper discussion about the merits of the new 300 series units - and all I see is carping about the fact that some units are manufactured in Slovakia.

We had the same when the new classic range was first released - FFS guys, give it a rest! What matters is Naimā€™s healthy future and the performance of the new designs.

7 Likes

Itā€™s not really that strange that the focus for a while ends up on manufacturing because itā€™s the first time in Naimā€™s history that manufacturing no longer takes place exclusively in Salisbury. This can take time to digest for us loyal Naim customers, so giving it some time and space in the forum is only good. After a while, when everyone has had their say, itā€™s time to move on.

1 Like

But they do that because labour is cheaper. Ford manufacture the Puma in Romania - no question on quality but labour is cheaper than Cologne.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall seeing anyone suggest quality would be inferior.

I own both Seiko and Omega watches. I also own a Teslaā€¦ and it was manufactured in China, so not really sure your point is well thought through :wink:

2 Likes

As with just about everything, it all comes down to cost, thatā€™s the bottom line.
Manufacturerā€™s can come up with whatever, but itā€™s all about cost, and nothing else.

3 Likes