300 Vs Chord Ultima 6 as upgrade to the 250

Right i understand, the markup per brand varies a lot too yes. Sometimes also within a single brand, for instance Naim equipment is more expensive in The Netherlands than in Germany.

1 Like

They are chunky, almost as big as the Rossini, I like the design, not as conservative as some of the alternatives.

Yes and yes.

Hi FR,
The Ultima 6 is quoted as 180W but one of the Hifi magazines (Hifi World perhaps?) measured it and it failed to be 180W. It was circa 300W into 8 Ohm, more into 4 Ohm. The Ultima 6 went deeper, harder and with more control than our NAP135s when we had one to audition.

Best regards, BF

7 Likes

It doesn’t surprise me. The Ultima is apparently much more powerful vs the 250 dr. On some speakers, it must be better for bass, macro dynamics….
Glad you enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Thanks FR!
We ended up with the Ultima 5, which does claim 300W into 8 Ohm. We don’t know how many it actually has but it seems to be limitless.

On the other hand, it is also quite extraordinarily heavy, so moving it requires care. Simon Price even had to design a bespoke version of his Simrak to ensure that we didn’t overload the glass shelf and isolation points.

Best regards from Corbieres :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

4 Likes

Chuck a bit of tinsel on that rack and you’ll be sorted for Christmas :grinning:

Seriously though, lovely kit and good to see another interesting amplifier option :+1:

1 Like

To be fair it is, I admit, a beautifully made piece if kit. Just a bit big and it wouldn’t exactly blend in with the domestic surroundings in our house.

2 Likes

Thanks FR and all for your thought provoking insights. Live in NZ so harder to get an Ultima 6 Vs 300 comparison blind listening test done. Particularly interested in your comments everyone on sonics. Love the sound of Naim and it is as much about what our ears like as what is ‘true’ to the sound. I’ve always tended towards a little ‘warmth’ over ‘neutrality’, the latter of my experience with ARCAM equipment in my youth. In terms of value the Ultima wins hands down as you all point out. I can get my hands on a second hand 300DR. I will have to get off that fence soon.

If you are unable to compare these two excellent amps, then I would not toss a coin and guess on the basis of on-line reviews.

Instead, I would find a really good dealer that you are comfortable with and go with whichever one they support. A good relationship with a trusted dealer counts for more to me than any single piece of kit.

Best wishes for your continued musical enjoyment, BF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.