300DR din to xlr...hmmm

One example would be, how in hades did one of my Morgana end up with a din/xlr mounted 180 opposite to the other side cable. At the time I thought nothing of it, I just twisted the cable to fit. In hindsight could’ve of been a disaster on one of my 135 with no hope of repair in the next six months, living in NZ!! I know my fault to fit but when you get something that’s exciting as a new audio play thing would you not do the same?

What about some of the other weird things out there that seem acceptable. The Grahams hydra falls into this category IMHO.

Of course the reasoning behind acceptance of responsibility seems quite reasonable

Rooster, we are talking about cables that carry d.c. supplies. Not signal cables. Of course it would be interesting to hear how this could be a disaster

AFAIK Naim have no issue with customers using non-Naim mains leads, although they would advise customers stick with the supplied lead or go Powerline.

Hydras can work well so long as they are properly made and utilised as intended. Naim have themselves used their own hydras over many years in the past with good results.

2 Likes

It is a shame that they do not take responsibility if the problem is really due to a defective supply line. I’m not sure, maybe they do. Given the cost of certain cables i would hope so.

And I’m talking about incorrectly 3 party wired cables.

When I visited the factory a few months ago I was told that several of the top guys there use hydras made up for them using Powerline cables. Not something commercially available sadly.

Yes I realise that. The Din-Xlr interconnects between the 252 and 300. I would expect the cables just not to work rather that cause a „disaster“ rooster. Of course if one is messing around while music is flowing that’s another matter

There is something commercially available from the German distributor called powerigel with a powerline version. I tried one but they are a bit of a pain when trying to achieve nicely arranged and dressed cables. It was quite better than a hydra and musicline power strip, but of course won’t correct issues with the supply

From what was said I got the impression that the ones that Jas Gould and co use was made up for them at the factory but if I’m wrong then I will stand corrected.

Hello @Cohen1263 !
That’s my (4 way) PowerIgel Plus…sort of a Hydra design.

3 Likes

Hi Jodl. So those are Powerline cables? I read your system profile. You haven’t bought Chord Music mains cables to go with your Music signal full loom?

There are two versions of the Powerigel, one that uses Standard Naim mains cables, and a more expensive version that uses Powerlines.

I found no real advantage with the Powerigel over my Naim-made hydra, although it did look nice. However, a Powerline version would undoubtedly be something else entirely!

2 Likes

@Cohen1263
A Graham`s Hydra served me well for some 15 years - then, when upgrading my electronics and speakers I tried a PowerIgel (Standard Naim main cables as @Richard.Dane stated) and for me it made no difference to my Hydra. But the PowerIgel Plus (with Powerlines) brought a cleaner sound, more heft and depth without sacrificing the drive.

3 Likes

I can appreciate that. I really like the Powerlines. I feel that they are the best cables sold by Naim. Chord Music is fantastic and even better IMO but sooo expensive. My dealer recommends Chord Sigx mains cables but they are a mile away from Music level with an overly forthright presentation that I’ve never really got on with. A Powerline hydra must be a great value for money option.

Is that the Grahams hydra?

No, made in-house.

Ok, I didn’t know this existed. Are they generally available?

I think the power cables in uk are lower gauge than the ones in Germany. I assume these have been renamed powerline lite

No, they aren’t generally available. If you want a hydra using Naim mains leads then best bet would be one from Grahams.

1 Like

I was taken aback by the positive impact of power lines.
Connected to my opening post I added a Morgana Phono to din between my phono stage and 252.
It has had a significant positive impact and been hitting the vinyl heavily since which now comfortably matches the NDX2 for enjoyment.
It replaced a hiline which I didn’t bond with.