332 with Legacy 250

I am going to replace my 282 with a 332. I don’t have the funds to go all in with a new amp as well unfortunately but I thought this would be a good start. In doing some research here it looks like the cable I would need to make that connection is: 5. Lead Assembly, New Classic Pre-amp, XLR to Legacy NAP250 XLR - XLR (x2) to Single XLR 00-010-0247

Is there anything else I would need? I’m assuming my NDS and Stageline could still be connected to the Din inputs on the back of the 332? I was also thinking of trying out the NVC TT and replacing the stage line but I have an adikt cartridge on my LP 12 so could be overkill.

Thank you, please let me know if I’m missing something.

The cable you mention is correct for the 332 to 250. The NDS and Stageline can be connected as you state.

One thing to note is if you don’t already have a separate PSU for the Stageline then you’ll need one as you can’t power the Stageline from the 332 unlike the 282. The 332 does have a powered DIN8 socket but this is for the NVC-TT stage which has different voltage requirements to the Stageline.

2 Likes

Because there are significant differences between Naim OC (old classic) and NC, things can be … tricky… and also expensive.

The leads needs to ‘translate’ each way are available, but are expensive - and that’s money you may struggle to get back later. Ideally, try to get your Naim Dealer to help out here. Some have posted that their dealers have either offered a good deal on the required special leads - or even included one ‘free’. Worth trying, for sure.

This is what I found…

Also, I’m assuming if I wanted to try the 332 with my 500 I would use the same set of cables as for the 300? Listed as Number 6 below?

AFAIK, yes.

That’s a 2nd, different set of ‘translation’ leads for 300/500 - rather than for 250.

Getting Expensive… IMO…

The cables are expensive?

Well…the prices are in the list you posted? So it’d be 300 USD per cable. Depends on your wallet if that is expensive or not :wink: .

1 Like

Yeah, less expensive than buying a new amp though! :slight_smile:

More fun to get a new amp, but that will have to wait a bit I think.

1 Like