34 year old troika eats CDS3/XPS DR for breakfast

I loved the Troika. After I bought my last one my dealer told me that it was about to be replaced so I asked if i should buy a spare. He said “no the suspension rubber degrades after around five years”.

Maybe so, but this 34 years old one sounds terrific. Guess it must of missed the “you must”part of the build.

2 Likes

My 2001 vintage DV10X still sounds fabulous… :thinking:

2 Likes

As far as I remember the Klyde was a replacement for the Karma, the Asaka had been discontinued well before IIRC. On the subject of Cartridges, I have a Koetsu Rosewood that ages from mid 1990’s and maybe a little before that, never been retipped, still sounds great, is there any give away sign that such a graceful device is nearing end of life.

1 Like

Suspension compounds are used to tune the tonal sound and frequency balance of a
cartridge. Different compounds and room conditions humidity, cigarette smoke versus
a cartridge kept in a box surely play a part.
Even the cantilever position on a LP is not a complete guide as the compound may
harden or soften and the audible sound is too gradual to detect.
The only thing you can do is cartridge comparisons if it is still a winner nothing else counts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.