4G Broadband for Rural Areas

I have recently switched from Talktalk ADSL (4.2Mbps download) to a Vodafone Gigacube, which delivers up to ~60Mbps, although this varies greatly. In order to get a reasonable signal I had to position it on an upstairs windowsill. The problem was then that I needed at least two ethernet ports downstairs for the PC and the first network switch. This I solved with a pair of mesh network devices, one upstairs next to the Gigacube and the other in the study next to the PC. At least that will do until we get fibre in our hamlet.

That’s interesting - I talked to Vodafone and they basically said that there was nothing that they could offer me. Which seems to be the case most times I talk to them about things. I’m not sure how the Gigacube would help me, though, because there is almost no mobile signal here, and my understanding is that the Gigacube needs a mobile signal.
I did have a look at various signal boosters, but it really isn’t clear whether one of those would work here or not.

It does. It’s basically just a fixed mobile that expects to output Ethernet on demand. So it needs a goodish Vodafone 4G signal to work.

I’d suggest (again) that you check the signal with providers other than Vodaphone. You might be pleasantly surprised how many bars pop up.

I’ve checked several by maps, and it doesn’t look good. We are in a bit of a valley, with not many other homes there.

Coverage maps are pretty unreliable in my experience. Friends and family visiting will have different SIM cards on their phones, so it won’t be any expense to find out
If one gets an unexpectedly decent signal. But I’m thinking that maybe you don’t fancy the 4G solution ? Fair enough, if so.

Starlink have announced a reduction to £99 for the equipment (plus £20 delivery) if you live in a “rural” area of the UK. Not sure if the location thing is policed or if so, how they’d do it. But it’s an option - if you’ve got £75 a month burning a hole in your pocket.

I certainly have no problem with the idea of using 4G.
As for other mobile providers, I haven’t tried them all but none of our various visitors (friends and delivery people) get a signal down here. Not sure what providers they all use, but certainly not all Vodafone.

You probably know, but may not, that there are only four mobile providers: Vodafone, BT (formerly EE), Virgin Media O2 (formerly O2) and Three. All of the other brands are hosted on one of those four networks.

1 Like

With the merger of Three and Vodafone, I guess that will reduce to three.

I said above that the speed with the Vodafone Gigacube was variable. This was the result of a speed test yesterday lunchtime:

And this was just now (4:45am):

The merger of Three and Vodafone hasn’t actually been agreed and announced yet, so far as I know (!) although it seems likely.

But it would be some time before the networks would be merged because the competition regulators would have to agree the merger before anything like that could start. Such agreements take months or more often years to negotiate, assuming the merger isn’t forbidden.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.