500 DR v ATC active speakers,

I’m not sure I follow your meaning. Are suggesting that unless you are prepared to build a source to speakers Naim system that you might as well not buy Naim at all?

what I think is that apart from the complete Naim system (including the speakers), I do not find the same evidence.

And yes, if I had to do without my SBL with my Olive system, I would definitely go to another brand because I think it all forms a whole.

i like all naim components, except the speakers…

I’m not really surprised…

Ni the amplifiers by the look of it.

Hi Dave, did the ATC active demo pair ever arrive at your home? Love to hear your thoughts if so…
Kevin

Hi, Kevin,

I plan to speak to my ever obliging dealer tomorrow, and, hopefully, arrange for a pair of active 100 floor standers to arrive later in the week.

We live in interesting times.

2 Likes

By that logic, now that Naim don’t make speakers, there is no reason to own a contemporary Naim system since amp and speaker continuity is broken.

Each to their own I suppose but you have basically said that 95% of forum members should not bother owning Naim since that is about the proportion that go with other speakers, and in regards to this thread, the highly regarded ATC. I’m trying to understand whether you think there should always be a amp-speaker brand match or whether you just think Naim electronics are naff and only worth it in the context of a speaker match.

More than one speaker manufacturer test their speakers with Naim as their amps of choice. So the natural synergy is not surprising.

why?

i have the 250 dr. Before : nap 300dr, 200, 150. pre: 112, 202, 282, 252.
sources: cd5x, cdx2, cdx2/ xps2, and nds.
so a lot of naim upgrades since 16 years.
But never bought naim speakers. Not my sound.

agree with you. 95% members here should be wrong if we accept Crifo thinking. Stupidity don’t kill us, fortunately.

Personally, I think it best to assemble a system that sounds as good as it is possible to achieve with the money available, and the only reason for buying more than one component of any particular brand would simply be if you find that sounds better than any alternative. The one thing that staying within a single brand might assist with is greater certainty of compatability, though some people like the simplicity of choice, while others want uniformity of component appearance, though speakers inevitably are unlikely to have anything in common with other components in terms of appearance.

Sources, amps and speakers use different technologies, and different design skills, and have different production requirements, so for one manufacturer to do all equally well is quite a challenge. Also, when it comes to speakers, they all sound so different, so the chance of finding speakers you really like from a manufacturer that happens to make whole systems is quite small. However that is where active speakers score strongly, whether ATC, PMC or other quality brand, because you know the amp is good with the speakers. But you still need a source…

3 Likes

As I read your signature, I realize that you are doing everything possible to fight against the Naim sound.

I do not think a different opinion allows you to be rude…

I think the old advertising from Linn Products, used to say something along the lines of …“If it sounds better, then it is!”

Unfortunately, their own products often didn’t sound better, BUT the ethos is absolutely sound (no pun intended)

Probably why I traded all my active Linn stuff for ATC :grinning:

Seriously though, forget the “Emperors Clothes” and buy what YOU think sounds better, not what everyone else tells you ‘is better’ … it probably isn’t and at the end of the day, it’s your money and you who is listening to it … not someone else, who prefers certain kit over others.

… and yes, I do have Naim kit - an excellent MuSo and the ND5xs with Hugo …because it sounded BETTER to me :grinning:

2 Likes

Sure that demo will be very interesting to say the least.
I hopefully will be hearing them on 6/7th April at Acoustica show.
Let us know how you get on.

i just fight against blind fanatism. You are certainly a clever and sympathetic man, but your thinking on all naim system or nothing is just stupid. Sorry.
Sometimes i say also stupid things, it happens…

Thank you for condescending and your knowledge, a real pleasure.

a great pleasure for me too…

3 Likes

Historically this is around the time we used to hear from Richard, reminding us that this was a light hearted forum where a common interest was shared, or debated, whilst maintaining a degree of respect for respective view points…

…there are many things I miss from the old forum, Halibut and his ever useful advice and steadfast view that a 272 was all the black box you would ever need to be happy (with a power supply, a very tasty power amp, plus beautiful speakers, obviously) and Richard’s ever present voice of calm may be sadly lacking here too

Just saying