500 DR v ATC active speakers,

Did @dave-marshall have his home demo yet? I’ve lost track of this thread.

1 Like

Hi, Bart,

I’m hoping that a pair of active 100’s will be arriving later this week for an extended home demo.

Know what you mean, as I rather lost track of the original thread at a couple of points myself. :roll_eyes:

a member here had previously 3 nap 500 dr in active mode with Sbl ( or Dbl , i don’t remember).
He replaced all these boxes and speakers with active Atc 100. With no regret.

I just wanted to @Crifo to clarify that he meant what it seemed like he meant. Which he did, and he did.

Each to their own. It may not be an opinion I agree with, or if I am honest, capable of even understanding, but there’s no harm there. How each person spends their money is entirely up to them. It may be better to leave it at that and move on.

Hello @feeling_zen,

There is no harm for me, I measure what I say and I do not try to make my word a truth

This is only my passionate opinion.

ATC SCM 100 floor standers arriving next week, which will give me at least a month to decide whether that’s the way ahead, rather than swapping my 300 DR for a 500 DR, following Acoustica’s annual bash in April.

I was more or less settled on the 500 DR, especially as the trade in offer is very tempting, but since having had that “what if?” lightbulb moment, I’m really looking forward to trying them at home, as all the research I’ve done in the meantime is very positive… though they will have to be a bit special to displace my current Neat MF 9’s.

Thankfully, my regular Naim dealer also stocks ATC, which simplifies things considerably.

2 Likes

Having (a) a good dealer who (b) stocks or at least handles everything you might want makes the process SO much easier! So much easier to trade up and keep $pending, that is!!! :joy:

Yep, you got that right! :hushed:

Mind you, to be fair, I have often mentioned that this particular dealer has proven to be quite inventive when it comes to upgrades and trade-ins, and in this case, there’s a brand new NAP 500 DR, at a great price, lurking in the background, should I decide against the ATC actives. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That Geoff’s a cracking salesman, too. Ahem!

He certainly is, but in a good way, and I’ve never had any complaints with his “out of the box” approach, as both he and Pete have taken me on this extended, yet strangely painless journey.

I understand his philosophy, and on a couple of occasions, have felt that 'I’ve got a bit of a bargain there", which is nice. :smiley:

I wasn’t complaining. It was more of a wry observation! And at no point has he applied any pressure to make a decision - he is very obliging and he and Pete have got my system pretty stonkingly good-sounding with some more improvements yet to come. At attractive prices!

1 Like

:+1::+1:

I know what he’s going to do :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Do tell, Señor Bear …all answers on a postcard, and, as previously, with a container of freshly clubbed seal to the winner. :yum:

Seriously though, Nigel, it’s an interesting one, and for the ATC home demo, they’re up against some seriously good speakers in the MF9’s.

I’ll have them for a while before the NAP 500 DR becomes available, so will be able to swap between them and the Neats for comparison.

If the Neats end up staying, then the 500 DR is probably inevitable, as the price is right.

As I’ve often said, “the fun just never stops”.

Anyway, what’s your thoughts on this tricky question?

Best kind of dealer, Dave! Mine is the same way. He’s worked with me really well with trade-ups and trade-ins, and that makes it easy for me. Otherwise I’d not have gone from SN2/HiCap2/NDS to 252/DC/300/ND555 in less than a year! And added a Rega tt.

1 Like

Yes,
Both great people all my gear has been from them for 20 years, the naim path and now the Auralic ATC path.

1 Like

It’s not for me to tell you what to do Dave. You will know what to do when the time is right :sunglasses:

Just remember to tell me I was right Dave :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Very diplomatic, Nigel … ever considered a career move into politics? :laughing:

Still, I’m keeping an open mind on things, and, as mentioned, I’ll be able to alternate between the ATC’s and the Neats in this speaker bake off.

If the Neats end up staying, then indeed you will be proven to have been right all along, since you’ve been predicting a NAP 500 DR for years now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Politics Dave, not for me, I am too honest.

All you need to do is play each combination to death, enjoy and choose the right combination.

How difficult is that? :smile::smile:

1 Like

Well, the ATC active 100 tower speakers were installed this lunchtime for my extended home demo.

Positioning is something of a problem, since they’re sitting alongside my existing Neat MF9’s. Not ideal, I know, but I do want to be able to alternate between the two, rather than remove the Neats altogether.

Now that they’ve warmed up, first impressions are that they are a very accurate speaker, though more forward in presentation than I’m used to.

I guess that’s the weekend spoken for, with some extended listening sessions planned. :thinking: