500 series replacement imminent?

That’s the thing with rega, you either like and stay happy with the cartridges they offer or if not, then fitting other manufacturers cartridges can be challenging due to the lack off adjustments you can do on the arm.
This then leads to make do situations which on an expensive set up makes it kind of pointless.
Shame really but it’s what it is.

1 Like

Thsts why then as the last thing i read was how much you was enjoying it especially over the solstice.

You can put every cart on the P10 and Naia, as long it’s not weighter than 11 g. The only thing to modify is to put a shim on the arm base. I have a Lyra Kleos with 3 mn shim.

Rega make great decks, but this lack of adjustment and having to fit shims is a bit meh in 2024, I can see that encouraging users in the P1-6 range to stick to Rega carts might have some logic, but on P8’s and above don’t owners deserve a full range of on board adjustment.

There you go exactly what i mean.
You can’t not adjust the height unless you shim it, this really is very poor and i wouldn’t even want to do this on an expensive deck. Plus you really need to be able to do on the fly so you can dial it in, as being able to adjust the cartridge angle is very necessary and this needs to be something that can be done easily and very finely.
No azimuth adjustment.
Limited on weight.
As said fine if you stick with rega cartridge’s but i would want the ability to try other’s as well going forward as you must be serious on vinyl if you are spending this amount and so have all the necessary adjustments becomes essential.
It’s why i sold my P10 years ago.

1 Like

Have you ever read the Rega book? It is well worth getting hold of and gives a fascinating insight into Rega’s approach and to TT design in general. They are convinced that VTA is unimportant and that adding height adjustment reduces rigidity. With that firm belief, it just wouldn’t make sense to introduce that adjustment. The decks are hugely successful without VTA adjustment, so why bother, especially if it means going against fundamental beliefs?

7 Likes

Is this Statement streamer the reality or has it just become part of forum mythology?

It’s definitely real, as I’ve had one on beta testing for a good few months now. Naim were concerned that the Nova might not allow me to test it to best effect, so they also loaned me the upcoming Statement Integrated. The pairing is really rather good.

6 Likes

Is Beta testing like Fight Club’s First Rule then?

1 Like

I moved from NAP300 to NAP300DR and have to say the improvement was significant.
Remarkable really.

1 Like

I know all to well what rega say. I also know the big difference you can hear when you adjust the stylus angle and azimuth.
But basically when you adjust vta you are adjusing the angle the stylus is at in the groove and this is very important to getting the right sound.
As said if rega cartridge’s are used not a problem move away from this and thing’s get very complicated.
I wouldn’t spend £10000 on a turntable and then £6000 on a cartridge and then not be able to set that cartridge up correctly or adjust it to how i like it to sound. Why would you even want to entertain this ?

2 Likes

If adjusting VTA was important to someone, they very likely wouldn’t buy a Rega, so it’s not really an issue. I’m not really sure it’s relevant or appropriate to diss Rega on a thread about the 500 series, especially as they have no right to reply. We all know that you have moved on from both Naim and Rega, so what’s the point of continuing to comment negatively about both of them? Why not just move on and be happy with what you have, rather than pouring scorn on other things that bring great joy to their users. It’s just not helpful. Surely there are forums for owners of DCS, Vitus and whatever TT you have, where you can indulge in mutual backslapping rather than going on the Naim forum and slagging off things that you no longer feel are good enough to meet your needs.

13 Likes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

4 Likes

I will not continue the discussion about shim or not shim, as there’s no consensus on it and it was debated already to death. However Michael Fremer himself have reviewed many Relga decks and I trust his opinion. He recommended me a shim for my Kleos. But let’s close this debate.

However I agree, the best would be to have easier adjustments. But it sounds very good for me, I am satisfied with my P10/ Kleos. Don’t like the Rega carts, which are average for me.

1 Like

I am not having a go at rega at all, as in fact i think they make wonderful products have owned quite a few turntables from them.
I am just starting facts, that’s all. If you are happy with the limitations you will get if you stray away from rega cartridges then fine.

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Interesting conversation, especially the dealer who has taken 500 series in trade for NC300. I’ve seen a number of 500 owners move on to other brands as well. I can’t help but wonder if these moves are out of boredom rather than seeking new sonic frontiers? I make it a point to listen to all the latest “must have” electronics and none have yet to exceed the sound from my 20+ year old 552DR/500DR. I too would like a shiny new box (Nagra looks so sexy) but not at the expense of the performance. Lean and lifeless seem to be the current en-vogue sound with most of the usual suspects. The more you spend the less music you get. Yes, the Emperor has no clothes.

17 Likes

We can’t stop people moving away from naim , nor can we stop people coming into naim. We lost some ,we gain some . It’s peoples’ preferences . This is life , life goes on :wink:

1 Like

you can never tell…

The real question is whether your Naim equipment sounds better with electricity provided by renewable, fossil fuel or atomic ?

It’s your money, your music , your choice

Totally agree with your comments

1 Like