500DR in a stack

I’m thinking of upgrading from a 300DR to a 500DR.
The 300 is currently in a six stack and unfortunately due to space I cannot facilitate two stacks of three.
Would it be ok to exchange the standard fraimlite legs for the longer legs to accommodate the 500 and if so where do I locate the 500? The rest of the system is 555 and 552.

Hi John, personally I would make 2 lowish stacks happen for not only proper box separation but also you’ll be exceeding the weight limitation for Fraim to work properly. From memory this is 65 Kg. Also remember not to put the 552PS at the bottom👍🏼 ATB Peter

Easy enough to do :wink:

5 Likes

Peter - max weight = 90kg and 6 levels per the manual:

fraim_reference-manual_multi-language_issue2c.pdf (naimaudio.com)

So, here, IIRC a 500/552 combo = ~70kg combined (inc PSs) and ND555/PS = ~30kg. Perhaps do-able as a single stack (within safety tolerance?) but, as you say, far better as 2 stacks given burndies et al.

2 Likes

I stand corrected HL :nerd_face: Speak soon Peter

Consolation for another season in the Championship?

1 Like

Why not ?

1 Like

I have only considered two stacks until now so defo not well placed to advise.

My suspicion is that you should stack your PS’s at the bottom; 500 immediately above them and other components above the 500.

I have a tall set of legs for my 500 but likely will reduce to medium which I understand provides sufficient clearance, due to slight misunderstanding re height requirements of my phono stage.

Peter

1 Like

Hi Elfer, in my experience it seems to dull and make the 552 sound flat. YMMV of course. I seem to remember DB finding the same ( again my memory hasn’t proven the best so far even on this thread. My left knee has also been making some funny noises of late combined with being tender- it’s just brilliant approaching 65 :face_with_head_bandage:). Hope you are keeping well and still get the beast dirty :checkered_flag: Best Peter

Not sure at the moment as I’m trying to fight the upgrading addiction but temptations keep cropping up.

Well, if the season gets any worse I suppose you could always consider Statement to ease the pain…

1 Like

My wife is also a season ticket holder so it could get very expensive!

Well, you could double up & get some 808’s, on her behalf, to partner the Statement.

1 Like

Don’t mention 808s!

….other makes are available! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: ATB Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter, I have the same knee and memory at a whole 10 years your junior😂.

Interesting findings on the 552PS, not sure I recall hearing about that. I seem to recall DB preferring the 500 off the bottom.

My 552 is currently off the bottom (empty) shelf but I have a second 555PS inbound and would prefer to use an empty shelf rather than add another. Some experimentation ahead I feel…

The beast has been sleeping for a month but I’m on my way back home now and hope to get it dirty, in between the snowfalls :+1:

1 Like

Oh dear! Perhaps that’s why I’ve never been that impressed with the 552?

1 Like

Of course Clive these things are presenting minor differences, but could be worth a try on a wet Autumn day with nothing better to do :nerd_face: ATB Peter

1 Like

It is exhilarating to see your progression so fast. I am looking at 500DR also. Pray.

1 Like

I have a 500 in one stack…I put all PS on the bottom then 500…then 552 then ND555 … it sounds great…

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m glad it’s possible because as tolerant as my wife is I’m sure she would appreciate me not rearranging everything again!
(It saves putting ice cubes on the carpet imprints.)

2 Likes