552 and ND555 inputs questions

I may be missing it but, as far as I can see, the manual does not give a recommendation as to which input to park on the record row…

Right! My mistake. Didn’t find it. I’m probably missing something myself.

I park it on “CD” but no idea why or whether that’s best!

My impression is it’s best to park on an input that you never use.

There’s a theory that it should be parked on an unused input as far from the one you’re using as possible and another that it should be on AUX2 regardless of whether it’s in use or not and having tried both I use the latter but listen for yourself.

I also park the record bank on AUX2 with the circuits muted. FWIW, I have my Superline going through AUX2.

1 Like

Yes same here, supercap powered into socket 6 but mapped to AUX2.

1 Like

So I moved the ND555, my only source, to input #2 which is controlled by the CD button.
However if I go to the pre-amp inputs on the Naim app for the ND555 I have to enable preamp input #1 for it to work even though the ND555 is plugged into input #2. Likewise I have to select input #1 for System Automation to work. Not a big deal but would like to understand why. @Richard.Dane or anyone who might understand.

Sorry jsaudio, I’m not running anything with system automation so can’t check it out for you. Hopefully someone else can do so.

@jsaudio

Seems odd, as, having just checked the app, inputs 2>6 are all enabled, and input 1 disabled.

My ND555 is connected to input 2, which is as set up by my dealer, and system automation works just fine.

Maybe try disabling input 1? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Does that mean you select button 2 on your remote to select the ND555, Dave?

If I look in settings on the Naim App, I see that I’ve changed the names to suit the components plugged in. ND555 appears first, NAT-01 second, CT-S830S third, then Preamp 4, LP12, and Preamp 6. The ND555 is, however, plugged into input 2 on the rear panel, yet I press button 1 on the remote to select the streamer. System automation shows the streamer input as ND555. I can’t remember why I set it up like this, but it works.

Hi Clive,

Since I only have one source component, the ND555, I have little use for it’s remote, but I’ve just had a scroll through the inputs, and yes, the streamer lives on input 2, which corresponds to it’s physical position on the 552, confirmed by the rear LED lighting up.

It remains there through power downs, etc. and I use the 552’s remote or the Naim app on my iPad for volume control.

1 Like

Can anyone advise what this ‘additional equipment configuration’ might be? I reckon I’ve tried every combination of illuminated lights to restore the automatic switching to my 552 preamp, but without success.

I am trying to get back to the situation where it will automatically switch from tuner to ND555 (on CD input) when I select play on the ND555. What I’ve been doing is this:

1. Press and hold Prog button on the remote until the LED on the volume control starts flashing.
  2. The mono button illuminates on the top row.
  3. Repeatedly press the mono button on the remote until the mono, CD and Tuner buttons are illuminated on the 552 - this only stays illuminated like this for two seconds max.
  4. Quickly press the prog button on the remote to exit programme mode before the switches go off (as in 3 above).
    I suspect it’s not meant to switch out of the selection quite so quickly and I may in fact need to investigate the above referenced additional equipment configuration.
    I’d welcome any advice. Thank you.

Same here Clive… I’ve had no luck enabling this feature.

Thanks for your reply, Chris. It’s frustrating because it used to work (at least most of the time) until I started ‘investigating’. Previously, I could be listening to the radio and press play for the ND555, either on the remote or the app, and nine times out of ten the preamp would automatically switch to the ND555 (CD) input. Unfortunately, I assume I shan’t be able to seek the advice of my retailer until we come out of the current lockdown situation. And that may be awhile away.

Perhaps someone could make a short youtube video outlining the process? I feel like I’m missing something.

I’ve had a 552 for years but I’ve never bothered with AIS, so I must apologise for not being able to help further here.

Hi Guys,

If your 552s (or any Naim preamps) were manufactured before 2012, they may require a hardware modification in order for system automation to work reliably.
Any units that have been returned to Naim HQ since then should have had the modification fitted retrospectively.

Regards
Neil.

Edit: I should clarify - I refer to 202, 282, 252, 522. The modification involves a couple of resistor changes & I have read an example (on these forums) of a change of the cable linking the devices solving the reliability issues. So that might be worth a try if returning to base isn’t a viable option.

Perhaps even reducing the cable length might help?

1 Like

My 552 is sn#196xxx, which is 2003 manufacture. It was recapped and serviced 2 years ago by Chris West. I’ll have to inquire and see if this mod was done.

17 years and I think my 552 is finally close to breaking-in :wink:

Indeed Chris, you’d better check with Mr West, but in theory, it should have been done.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like