552 AV Bypass left channel not working

My beloved 552 over last few weeks has been losing the left channel in AV bypass, and today is totally quiet. Marantz NR1510 AVR provides signal by RCA to 5 pin Din cable to 552 Input 4 mapped to AV source button. Switched 552 on and off for 30 minutes but still no left channel.
Tried mapping AV through input 5 no difference. Right Channel still works fine.
Left channel works if i don’t use AV bypass mode and set the volume manually.
All other inputs like CD & tuner work on both channels. RCA to 5pin Din cable also works on input 2 (CD)
Is the NAIM bypass relay the potent suspect?.
Any ideas of anything else to try?

Sorry to hear that crusty, but welcome to the forum anyway.

I think this is something that @NeilS would be best advising on.

1 Like

Relay sticking problems again ? As this tends to be the main fault with this sort off problem.

1 Like

Hoping it would just need a tap with the proverbial hammer to fix? :slight_smile:
I did have a Left channel output relay go in my ND5XS which was outside warranty and cost me a lot in $$$ and time to replace during the COVID pandemic.

Dont be banging the 552 with it’s floating board.
Ps. I know you are only joking.
If it is a relay then i hope you get it sorted for not too much, as these sticking relays are certainly a main problem, and many just on here have suffered it, myself included.

1 Like

I would concur - AV bypass relay fault.

Regards
Neil.

Thanks NeilS for clarification.
My 552 is preloved and underwent recapping and DR upgrade in 2018 through the previous owner
Can this AV bypass relay replacement be done at local Naim dealer in Western Australia?
As relay problems seems to be common on the 552, should I replace other output relays at same time?

I’m afraid that I can’t comment on whether dealers/distributors are equipped to carry out this kind of work or not. You will need to enquire with them.
It’s a good idea to replace the other relays of the same type (four in total), as they will all be from the same batch.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

552 is off to West Australia Naim repairer for diagnosis. Will be without 552 for 4 weeks as it waits in job queue. AV2 will have to come out of retirement and take on the daily music chores. Thanks for everybody’s help