552 preamp

Nice system :slightly_smiling_face: Is a 500DR on the cards anytime soon?

2 Likes

You’re right @marcusman it’s been quite an- accelerated - journey. But you know, it’s my only hobby. Need to work pretty hard, and listening to music on my own in the evening is the single thing that relaxes me.

The journey went all the way from 5-series system to NDX/Supernait/Allae. I had that last system quite a while. A few years ago I went into the Classic series with 282/250 and that is where it really started fascinating me. Just love the sound and love to get things everytime a little better. The introduction of Roon made that even stronger; fantastic software that just keeps you listening again and again. I always dreamt of the system I now have, so expect to not make real big changes anymore. Thinking of loudspeaker cables maybe and / or powerfilter. I will also put the NUC in a fanless cabinet. … but of course, never-say-never: I recently heart Wilson Sabrina X and can’t get them out of my had :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Iver

5 Likes

Hi @bongoman see my other answer to @marcusman … for the moment I do not have the 500 on my radar. It is probably very good, but I believe my current 300Dr can easily drive my speakers and it doesn’t seem the “weak” spot at the moment

Cheers
Iver

2 Likes

I don’t know if you saw my recent thread about SabrinaX? We have similar systems and I have pulled the trigger on going from SF Olympica Nova II to the SabrinaXs … wonderful speakers.

1 Like

Hi @delta where can I find your thread ?
Iver

Hi @IvdZ here it is

1 Like

That’s what I thought too, until the 500 DR arrived to replace my 300 DR … … … jaw dropping doesn’t begin to cover it.

It may just have been the final piece in my HiFi jigsaw, but it’s effect was simply stunning.

5 Likes

Hi Dave, the 500DR has indeed got this uncanny depth to it, and that once heard is somewhat hard to live without :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter

5 Likes

I thought my 300dr was driving the 808s perfectly well. The 500dr I got has comprehensively disproved that. To my ears, my wallet, my room…

7 Likes

Well I’ve had enough of a demonstration of the pre-loved 552 I’ve had from my dealer to know that I didn’t want to give it back, and handed over the money today for it. The 252 and Supercap DR will be packed up at the weekend.

I’ve only had the 252 for a couple of months, so a step up to the 552 was unexpected (to say the least), but I’m stoked that the opportunity has come along to make it happen. Everything is sounding so good :heart:

16 Likes

A 555PS will improve your NDX2. That would be next upgrade. Give it time though and enjoy the 552.

Nice one. I think your outgoing 252/SC came from the same rack as my 555PS, who now has my SN2/Hicap. Small place NZ.

Please don’t say how the 552 compares over the 252, my system is finished……

I’d certainly look at a PS for your NDX2 though……

1 Like

I’ve got a pre-loved 555 here for a listen. It definitely makes a difference over the naked NDX 2. I suspect I’ve spent enough on the stereo this year though :wink: (and have a Morgana DIN-XLR on courier somewhere between Auckland and here).

As the movie goes, “that’ll do pig, that’ll do”

2 Likes

I had the same experience - had a demo 552 in my home for a week or two and didn’t want to let it leave. So I didn’t!

3 Likes

Apologies if I’ve misread it, but was there no element of p/ex involved? I picked up a new 552 a while back at a v good price once the various p/ex elements were factored in, and may not have gone for it without. A 552 is after all a ludicrous price.

Threads like this are bad news for those wavering over whether or not to go for a 552. I’ll add to that by confirming that it is a noticeable step up. Not night & day that some report, but still a very effective upgrade.

My dealer provided a part exchange on my 252 and Supercap DR (which had been recapped 3 weeks before I bought it). It was a rather short gap between getting the 252/Supercap (upgrading from using my SuperUniti as a preamp, which was a substantial upgrade) to getting the 552 DR, but the price was good enough (especially given their rarity here in NZ) that I decided I couldn’t let it pass.

I really loved the things that the 252 did, and I’m even happier with the 552. Overkill? Probably. But ask me if I regret it in 10 years…

1 Like

I ran the 552 beside my Fraim (I couldn’t be arsed de-racking the 252 for the demo), and after a week and a bit of listening to it, put it back in the spare bedroom to pack back into the boxes. 2 days later I put it back into the Fraim, and headed down to my dealer to talk about price.

It really reinforces the importance of a good local dealer - there’s no way that I would have done this if they weren’t in my city, and didn’t allow for a home demo.

2 Likes

My dealer installed the dem 552 for me to try. His experience was that most people not choosing 500 series kit (or moving from it to something else) did so because it hadn’t been properly installed / set up, so was pretty insistent that it was set up properly. (This was Geoff - Pete has now taken over at Acoustica. Edited to add not saying that Pete doesn’t insist on setting things up right :joy:)

1 Like

I was quite prepared to strip down several levels of Fraim when Pete arrived to install my NAP 500, but no … … … “No worries, Dave, stand back”, and plop, there it is, residing on a lower level.

Having since tried to move the head unit, and failed, I still don’t know how he did it, but who’s arguing? … … … not me. :man_shrugging: :zipper_mouth_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

He must have muscles in all the right places :joy:

4 Likes