552 preamp

That’s very useful - thanks for posting that. :+1:

This is my reading. The 282 is visceral, the 252 mature but neither exclusively so. Put them together and you get the 552 plus a whole lot more.

6 Likes

Good one line summary Lindsay, well two lines.

3 Likes

Do share as I find it torture!

Congrats on the 552. It’s a wonderful machine.

G

Isn’t that bit the same as 250DR vs 300DR vs 500DR?

I agree, that is where I’ve landed, and I’m totally stoked with it.

3 Likes

Yes.

Same here Mike, couldn’t be happier. The combo sounds so damn good

1 Like

This thread makes itchy reading for a happy 252 listener.

2 Likes

Hi @GraemeH what I did not know is that if you look directly in the burndy connector it has a little tab (it is around 1mm and looks like a bulge). That one has to be on top. If you position the connector in such a way that the tab is on top, you easily find the final fit.

I struggle describing it; maybe others here can help

I would expect a little marker on the connector to indicate that tab

Cheers,
Iver

2 Likes

Thanks @IvdZ

G

The trick is to massage the Burndy until it’s as floppy as it can be. Then hold the two ends with the wider lugs at the top and form it into the right shape. It will then slot into the connections easy peasy. It’s important that there is no twisting in the connections.

8 Likes

Great!

G

So you’re saying it’s directional ?

I know. It could make you get a 282!

I had both the 282 HiCapped and the 252. I missed the 282 and was happy again with the 552. I also preferred the CDX2 to the NDS. The full musical enjoyment came back with the ND555.

I was seriously peeved when I demoed the 282 and 252: as far as I was concerned the 252 couldn’t get cello right and the 282 fell short on piano. The 552 got me smiling.

1 Like

I remember the first time I heard this combo: about 3 weeks ago : ) Also magical.

Sold my CDS/52/2x250 system in 2001. So it’s only taken me, er… two decades to return to the same level of musical enjoyment. I’m a slow learner!

6 Likes

I preferred too the Cdx2 vs Nds, the first months after I bought the Nds. The Cdx2 was more involving and immediate, urgent.
But things changed after, with the addition of Audioquest diamond Ethernet cables and audiophile switches. Today my Nds is completely on another level vs the Cdx2 / XPS 2 I had. The difference is like between a cd5i and Cdx2 / xps.

2 Likes

I went from 282 to 552. I don’t think I would have gone to 252 if I hadn’t been able to make the 552 work. Lindsay has it spot on I think that 552 combines the best qualities of 282 and 252 and more.

2 Likes