552 preamp

I’m not touching anything, sounding stunning at the moment!

2 Likes

Yes, prefer my 552 a shelf down with a space underneath.

6 Likes

See… UFO’s do exist!

2 Likes

Thanks Chris, will investigate.

1 Like

I spoke to dealer yesterday and did the same……it does sound better, will try some others.

2 Likes

So I tried and as usual my cloth ears can’t detect a difference - or at least none that is so big that I can pinpoint it between getting up from the couch and plugging in/out. I don’t know if it’s my ears, my strong bias against faffing around, or you guys all being insane :wink: - however, I believe everyone who’s hearing a difference has 500 streamer/pre or Statement, so maybe it’s that.

I’ll try again when the new speakers are in place and run in, together with the other insanity-level stuff on the list like taking out the 8switch and the Sarum Ts for comparison

2 Likes

We are probably insane, but did you turn system automation off……it also helped……off to a sanatorium now.

1 Like

No I didn’t. I’ll wait for you guys to make your minds up about the cause. If it’s the proverbial noise being caught by the cheap cable, then unplugging it should make a difference regardless of whether a tiny circuit in the streamer that has no connection to the signal is active for sending commands or not :wink: And in the pre it’s always active anyways as far as I can tell

2 Likes

For clarity I’m cable out and automation off in a middle shelf.

Sounding just perfect today.

G

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

I’ll give it a go too… :+1:t3::joy: ATB Peter

Tell us something we don’t know haha!

G

2 Likes

My 552 is below my CDP555, which is on the larger frame legs and creates a nice gap. No system automation cable or activation and I’m quite happy.

1 Like

My 282 - sorry for degrading the thread - is underneath my TT. System automation is through my forefinger muting and unmuting. Sometimes I nudge my knob with the remote control.

5 Likes

Move the remote off your lap Lindsay. Problem solved :+1:

7 Likes

images (2)

(It’s a cheap laff, but hey ho…)

2 Likes

Hi @Suedkiez similar experience like yourself: no difference. Yet I still use 252 so that might be the reason. Just ordered an Audioquest rca-3.5mm with decent shielding, just to be sure. It is not expensive
Iver

2 Likes

Have some respect… this is, after all, the 552 thread. That kind of humor belongs in the SN3 vs 200/202 thread.

4 Likes

I may be next in line, it would be my usual MO to spend money for silly things on the basis of “if it doesn’t help it doesn’t hurt” :wink: But after reading the older thread (from the new forum) that was linked in a previous post, maybe not

1 Like

Same here @Suedkiez , I have an “elcheapo” cable now and just prefer a decent shielded one
Iver