552 preamp

But did you pull the wire or simply disable the function? :scream_cat:

No, no: the elcheapo cable is still there because Inlike the system automation. Will just replace it with a better (more shielded) one
Iver

Try removing the power cables. Should give an inky black darkness.

6 Likes

Really lowers the noise floor……

1 Like

i want one!

1 Like

I ordered a similar cable from blue jean cables using the same Belden cable, will post once it arrives and is fitted.

3 Likes

What a coffee table

1 Like

Will need a very large pencil :laughing:

4 Likes

Hope it’s got the Sunday eve top 40 on it :joy:

1 Like

I thought the perceived wisdom on the forum was that 552 needs to be top shelf… bugger. I just rebuilt the system a few weeks back :grimacing:

Top, middle or bottom, I very much doubt it will make any difference.
Certainly by the time you have moved it all around, you will have already decided its better , more open sounding, etc, etc, but really, if there is a difference, it’s going to be so small you aren’t going to hear it, as are ears and memory is good enough.

4 Likes

Or immediately below a CDS/CS555 if present seems popular.

1 Like

From my experience, what you hear is a more realistic/accurate portrayal of music in a manner that is ‘truer’ to the source material but be forewarned that ‘mediocre’ recordings shall still be presented as is without compromise. The 552 does not take prisoners, but rather it tries to render everything in the best possible light available :relaxed:

In my experience it sounds better with a good bit of space around, though….

3 Likes

Me too, but I haven’t blind tested shelf positioning.

Oops…

2 Likes

Don’t! You might drop something….

2 Likes

When I carry out blind tests I am constantly bumping into things.

Am I doing it wrong?

4 Likes

I can’t see what you mean…

2 Likes

Giving the NAC552 some space is the key. In particular I have found that having something digital placed right above it is not such a good idea without some space between.

In my own system I the NAC552 and Superline on their own Fraim Stack with a pair of intermediate Fraim levels. This works well and allows me to have a turntable on top.

3 Likes

That is very different to top middle or bottom shelf sounds better.
Everything thing will probably sound its best all on its own, the key is to work out what gives off the nastiest stuff and try and move that far away or replace it with something better.

1 Like