552 preamp

It will I’m sure.
Good buy there, enjoy.

1 Like

Just going to make that system sing!

1 Like

Yes, the same way as the CDS3 / XPS 2 was good enough for the 552.
I relay only Hificritic review that pointed that the Nd555/ 2X 555 dr is more in the Statement league than 500 series. Martin Colloms felt the 552 was holding a bit the Nd555/ twin ps.
One or two members here think the same. They have now the S1.

1 Like

I recently upgraded to a 552 using it with a 300dr and T606 speakers front end is a ND555 and believe me it not only shines it positively sparkles.

Enjoy your 552 you will not regret it.

2 Likes

I find it strange that the 552dr is holding the sources back, as when I was trying new streamers i found it was the streamer that was holding back.
As when we put different streamers through a naim 500 system it coped with the extra it was receiving over what the ND555 could do.
Sure a S1 will make it sound different as would any other pre, as it will have its own colour that’s it added, as a S1 will do something to the single as it has lots of components the single has to go through and that has to colour it.
If you want a true transparent pre then go for an expensive passive one, as its just a very well made and expensive volume pot and switch pot, but that probably will sound worse in your naim system

Could be a 2012 model, in which case I might pass. Just waiting for confirmation now.

Did seem a bit too good…

1 Like

Hence my earlier question as to whether it was a DR, if it is an early one does it need a service check and then still good to go?

1 Like

I’m told it’s an original DR and they think it’s been serviced so I’m waiting on confirmation of details. If it’s been recently serviced then I might just go for it, but it’s doesn’t sound like the ‘box opened never used’ description was quite right. It did say ex demo to be fair but I was thinking three years old max.

The unit is at a different branch to where their Naim expert I’m dealing with is based, hence the uncertainty.

1 Like

Yes, I’d be wary of anything not as originally described. It sounds at best that they don’t know what they are doing, and at worst that they are hiding something. I’d need a lot more confidence in the history before buying.

3 Likes

My original reaction that it seems too good to be true is still the correct one I feel. Most ex demo units are 3 years old or less and certainly not unused - really??? I paid more for mine which is a 2010 (although admittedly recently dr’d and serviced)

O dear, I hope it isn’t the case but it is starting to sound to good to be true…

1 Like

Very true Dunc, the S1 pre is a bit of a coloured old affair :+1:t3: ATB Peter

2 Likes

That’s a bit disappointing, 2012 model doesn’t sound like ex demo to me.

I noticed you have a 252 I’m several weeks in with mine purchased new including the SCDR unable to afford a new 552, oh well…,

1 Like

I look forward to reading about your experiences with Soulution electronics, Thomas. No more Burndy cables and no more humming toroidal transformers! Oh, the joy!

1 Like

Every time I’m tempted by the 552 (ie this thread among others), I just look up the price and take a reality check! So unless the Magic Fairy visits, 252 it is - I’m not missing what I’ve not heard.

4 Likes

I’m still very tempted but want chapter and verse on its history and condition.

Distance selling regs and a five year warranty as standard gives me a fair amount of protection, plus I’ve bought from this dealer before (a 272) and they were excellent.

1 Like

Careful! The 5 year warranty only applies to brand new (not demo) kit AFAIK

1 Like

It’s was advertised with a five year warranty but you’re right I best check this as well!

Found this recently posted by @Naim.Marketing

Demonstration-stock units are slightly different in that the 2 year warranty clock starts ticking the day we ship to the retailer - these units are not eligible for the extended 5 years warranty. Any of the 2 years that is left to run when the retailer sells the demo unit on is transferred, but can not be extended.

Possibly no manufacturer warranty then - but perhaps the dealer is stumping up their own cover :thinking:

1 Like

Retailers and distributors are, naturally, free to offer their own warranties. It’s just best to ask exactly what you are getting when you buy, rather than make assumptions.

1 Like