552 preamp

Good advice @RackKit :slight_smile: ā€¦ My current plan is to continue with the 300Dr at least for this year. It suites my needs very well and allows me to enjoy my relatively new ND555 and 552. Maybe I have a look into a 500Dr next year :slight_smile:

Iver

2 Likes

Great to hear youā€™re loving your 552, but sorry to hear about the relay, it seems to be a bit of a recurring theme.
Looking forward to mine arriving. Iā€™m trying not to count the days, which is quite easy as thereā€™s no proper delivery date set in the current situation šŸ„²

1 Like

Yeah, no rush. Think it was a few months before I went for 500 too. I thought the 500 had more impact than the 552 from a 252 non DR. I wouldnā€™t get too hung up on this talk about 'my speaker are an easy load etc, the 500 is a lot than extra power. A lot more.

4 Likes

Well @Monkey_Jim and @RackKit ; got a call today that my 552 is repaired and ā€œcoming homeā€ this Friday, together with a fully serviced 300Dr. I used this repair as a moment to also service/recap the 300Dr. My distributor said I may expect quite some of that recap. Another things I am looking for is that theyā€™ll lend me a SuperLumina Mono-din-xlr pair. I have a Morgana pair now, but they said that - given I do have SuperLumina speakercables and superlumina interconnect - a ā€œfull loomā€ would be beneficial.

Youā€™ll understand that Inmade no appointments this weekend, since ā€œlistening timeā€ :slight_smile:
Iver

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great news. How long was it all away in total?

Itā€™s a little early to wish you a great weekend, but have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Hi IvdZ, great news and make sure to stick a lot of music through those Din-Xlrs, as they take a long time to run in. The SL cables make a lot of sense once the full loom synergy is allowed. Good move :+1:t3: Peter

2 Likes

The BeNeLux distributor Latham are fantastic. This Friday it is two weeks since they took the 552 and 300
Iver

2 Likes

I was perfectly happy with my Rega Isis & P9/Atheta with the 252/300. When the 552/500 came in I wasnā€™t quite so happy. A CD555 & Klimax level LP12 restored the balance. Iā€™d definitely upgrade your sources before a 500 or youā€™ll be back here saying how dissatisfied you are with the pairing. They really are a great pairing. Like a decent tightrope artist says, ā€˜itā€™s all about balanceā€™.

3 Likes

Well, maybe we can team up and be bank robbers so I can get my 552 and 500DR. Maybe ND555 and a few more 555PSs. All for Naim :laughing: :sunglasses: And of course whatever you need @RackKit

1 Like

Iā€™m up for that! Iā€™ve watched the film ā€˜Heatā€™ a few times so have an idea how pull off a bank robbery. Iā€™ll bring the masks, you can supply the rest. :smiley:

1 Like

I can only compare the SuperLumina Mono-din-xlr pair to the supplied leads but they were a really good improvement along with the speaker cables over NACA 5 and SuperLumina v the Highline din-din for the CD555.

See how you get on.

2 Likes

Well thereā€™s no shortage of masks!!

7 Likes

All racked up and ready to go @RackKit. Got the arms and ammo. Naim robbers :rofl: :joy:Just need a Statement from you and your full Naim in case thereā€™s any come back. Am on the case. Just donā€™t Fraim me up on this job @RackKit :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

What are peopleā€™s thoughts on stacking? Still waiting for my new (to me) 552 to be serviced but wondering if my current stacking will be optimal.

NDS 555 DR
252 SC
300 300 PS

My burndies touch the wall and floor, donā€™t think thereā€™s a way around that. Doesnā€™t help that I need to limit space behind to stop my pesky catā€™s getting in there and causing havoc with the cables.

Would the 552 be better on top? The top shelf isnā€™t open itā€™s enclosed if that makes a difference.

I donā€™t like having anything digital just above the pre-amp, whether it be CD player, CD head unit, Network player etcā€¦ As such, I would have the NAC552 on top here.

2 Likes

I have

NDS
300 Head
Supercap
300PS
555 DR

None of the Burndies touch the floor or wall with this arrangement

Iā€™ve put my 552 on the top of my rack, with the NDX2 below it. So the stack is:

NDX2
552-PS
300-PS

Iā€™ve not bothered to experiment whether it sounds better with the 300-PS or 552-PS on the bottom - Iā€™ll probably give this a a go when I pull the Fraim down for an annual dust and re-tighten

Thanks all. My rack isnā€™t a Fraim and the 2x3 configuration canā€™t be changed to 1x6 so Iā€™ll have to live with non optimal cabling sadly

What about the SN3 Richard

On top shelf with digital gear below such as CD5XS and nDAC ?

Advice greatly appreciated

Bevo

Iā€™ve never experimented with a Supernait on this one but it would definitely be worthwhile trying.