552 preamp

Sorry, but cannot agree with that statement. S1 and a 500 DR sound fabulous together, but then my room is working well with the system in place. ATB Peter

2 Likes

Listened to the 808,s in the medium smallish demo room at Signals with a statement S1 and 500 last weekā€¦ā€¦.best i have heard them so far. Better imo than full statement in the larger main demo room, was rather surprised.

5 Likes

Well Gazzaā€¦ā€¦? :thinking::hugs: Best Peter

1 Like

Butā€¦.First time I read that. So if I understand well, full Statements or full active 3X 500 dr with S1, or nothing from Naim with the S1.
Curious
And more curious still as the OP in this recent discussion has a little room and sits very near his speakers. Even an S1/ 300 dr , in my logic, should perform well in such conditions.

3 Likes

I am sure Alistair put these items in the room deliberatelyā€¦ā€¦case of when, not ifšŸ˜¬

5 Likes

Going from 552dr to Statement S1 Pre is not a straight swap, IMHO.
Had the S1 Pre to audition for quite a few days/some weeks to replace my 552dr and was sound wise
Easy, the S1 did several things better, than the 552, but the presentation of some frequencies were annoying and the music was not together (for the lack of a better word) anymore. So the S1 went back to the dealer. Had a lesser version of my turntable then, and sometimes Iā€™m tempted to give the S1 Pre another go with my now much improved source, but then my 552/500 is sounding so goodā€¦

As 916SPS says - synergy is the key point at this level. S1 with 500dr is probably possible when you carefully choose the other components/source/room, but itā€™s not an easy swap.

Jodl

1 Like

Iā€™m currently happy with my 272/555PSDR/300DR. Still Iā€™m leaning towards 252/SCDR/NDX2/300DR if they ever pop up used within EU. Tough times when UK left EU since the second handed market there was huge in comparison to other places.

Worth the struggle moving to 252/SCDR/NDX2 you think? Major/minor differences compared to 272/555PSDR?

Hi, no they were some totem wind, the source was I think a cd5ix and a rega p3 or something like that. It was a booked in demo as the statement was doing the rounds. Was not great. It is what it was so to speak. Oh and my friend didnā€™t buy one and ended up selling his whole 500 dr system eventually.

Can a preamp be underpowered by a power amp?
I always thought the contrary, specially with Naim, that a power amp can be underpowered by the pre, like 202/ 300 for instance.

I remember from the old forum that someone from Naim was enjoying at home the 552 paired the Nait amp.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about a NAC552 and a NAIT, but I have very much enjoyed using my NAC552 with one of two NAP110s I own, and have also used it with a NAP 150 in the past.

3 Likes

A dealer once demoā€™d to me how a 282/155 outperformed a 202/200 with less demanding speakers.

blimeyā€¦ so a pre can be too good for oneā€™s sourcesā€¦

that is pretty much my listening experience too, to my ears 552 is not a cure all, and well the system is a slave to the source, in the end all the downhill components, even the mighty 552 and S1 preamps are still slaves to the mighty (or un-mighty) source.

2 Likes

Firstly I wanted to underpin how good the 552 really is considering that this is what the OP opened this thread up for.

I have also based my opinion on my own Hi Fi experiences which started in 1995 with a Rega Planer 3 / CDI / Nac 72 / HiCap / 180 / SBLs / NACA 5 which at the time I was blown away with.

The next big upgrade was LP12 top sec model in 2006 / CDS 2 / NAC 52 - 52PS / 2 x NAP 250 / Snaxo Supercap NACA 5. (The Olive system :wink:)

The next bigger upgrade that followed: LP12 (customised to the extreme)! Superline - s/cap / CD555 - 555PS / 552 - 555PS Snaxo / 3 x NAP 300s / Ovator s600s / NACA 5 (The Black system :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Until the final configuration itemised above. (Steller overdrive system :exploding_head:)

Each system Iā€™ve put together have had great synergy and the boxes have complimented each other. With each upgrade Iā€™ve had to upgrade other items to release the full potential of each new piece as with the S1. Iā€™m sure there are many combinations that work well for others but for me pushing the limits of one part far above other parts throws out the balance of the system and the end result 'the musicā€™ suffers.

Horses for courses as my Geordie friend always says!

What is brilliant about NAIM is the upgrade potential before us, and oh! ā€¦ā€¦ NACA 5

Cheers Pete

4 Likes

Iā€™m probably amongst the very few members that has gone from a 552 DR to a NAC52. And YES it was primarily because of the financial strain of the 552DR. However having said that I will honestly say I have had just as much fun with my 52. The 552DR is a truly great preamp and in my decade of being a hobbyist, itā€™s probably the most impressive amp Iā€™ve heard. Having said that, price to performance ratio I would rate the 52 above it. Btw I much prefer the 52 to the 252 nonDR.

4 Likes

I think you will only get the full potential out of the S1 when you fully power it with active 500 or the full Statement; even in a smaller space. My space isnā€™t massive and Iā€™m close to the s800s (look up the near field listening thread :laughing:) but the dynamics, detail and effortless way the music is presented is truly stunning.

blimey againā€¦ from 552 to 52ā€¦

in my 12 years of experienceā€¦ everything matters, interconnects, quality of soldering on NACA5, Superlumina, Mains (power line or not), and source, speakersā€¦ 552 alone wonā€™t save a systemā€¦

2 Likes

Oooooohhhhā€¦!!

1 Like

Hi Peter, apparently you have a mullet system :joy::joy::joy:
Joking of course

1 Like

I believe your experience and find your system marvellous. Even if I can understand that the S1 works optimally with a full active amplification or Statement amps, I donā€™t see any reason to consider that S1/ 500 dr is not a top notch pairing already.
Secondly, I know your room is fully treated. But I canā€™t imagine that your room, with modest dimensions, can realise the full potential of your system. For me, itā€™s more a limiting factor than a single 500 dr on the S1.
But itā€™s only my point of view, my feeling.
Anyway, limiting or not limiting, thereā€™s nothing to be disappointed of .

2 Likes

Wow - that is some room Pete :sunglasses:

16 Likes