552 preamp

Been there……just that off the cuff comment and then…oops some new hifi

3 Likes

Yes, off the cuff comment and oops out with the wallet

2 Likes

And for those who have gone down that source first path as per the consensus on here and have eg an ND555, but into a 252? This thread has really helped to confirm what I’d started to work towards as the potential end-game, a 552.

Mine was demo’d by someone of this very parish who chose a different route, then it went into storage during lockdowns.

A casual enquiry ‘liberated’ it trading my NDX2 252/SCAPDR so the uplift was manageable…luck really. Had it within two days.

G

2 Likes

Yep just done that myself…

This is a dangerous thread. I’m heading back to the Nova one.

17 Likes

Mike, I think you have a year to 18 months then that upgrade itch will take hold once again! :innocent: :wink:

2 Likes

Ha ha, yes, my reputation precedes me. Though I did have an option on a used 552 before I grabbed my used 252 and at the end of the day the used 552 is more than my willingness to pay.

Now I’ve moved to part time work, affordability will come in to play as well. I have also learnt not to preempt the future :flushed:

4 Likes

The pre is never too good

4 Likes

True but that applies to a source even more

I heard both 552 and chord Dave and decided to spend my money on a top source

There’s no way a 552 will make my previous chord Hugo into a Dave

Even chose to not go for a Supercap in favour of the source and sounding fine to me with HCDR

Heard finally a rega 6 with a 552…. It’s the rega 6 that is in my mind … as something I might buy … the 552 remains aspirational… who knows maybe one day … but the rega 6 within reach today

You can always preempt gettin’ pre-amped!

2 Likes

Once heard a Dave into a Nap300dr direct…not a good combination…flat and lifeless… I think Naim amps are quite particular…I am confident the Dave would be an excellent source…perhaps fed into a 552

2 Likes

If you bypass a 552, I’d imagine most sources will sound flat and lifeless.

2 Likes

My nds is in the shop for a screen replacement and so am listening via innuos zen 3 and an audioquest cobalt. Not a great compromise in sq, so the 552 must be doing something right.

Well to me in my humble opinion …. the cobalt is punching way above its weight rather than the 552 doing something right

Well yes otherwise why buy a 552 at all for 20 k gbp

1 Like

Hi Jason
During your long stay with 282 and scdr didnt you plan to move to 252? could It be the proof that you were really happy with 282?

Hi piebia,

Some time ago, a friend convinced me to try his 552 in my system as it was in storage during his house renovation (this was whilst I had a HDX/282/200). The 552 truly left an impression on me, but I never really planned or expected I would ever be able to own one. I work in the public sector and it’s taken a lot of overtime and patience to build up my system over the years. I always hoped that one day I would be able to pick up a nice ex-dem or used 252 at some point and if I was fortunate enough, reach the dizzy heights of 252/300 with my NDS/555. Having heard the 252/300 on a few occasions in different scenarios, I know what it is capable of and that was my dream system, which seemed semi-achievable… with lots more overtime!
During lockdown, I reached a point where an upgrade was possible and I started considering my options (looking for a 252 or a NAP300DR) when a dealer I know and trust had an early model 552 come in which had already been DR’d. After some discussion, he offered me a deal on it which I couldn’t turn down, including both units being returned to Naim for a full service and inspection - effectively giving me the latest spec unit.

Five months on and I am still amazed at the transformation this has given my system. Yes the source is absolutely an important factor, but this pre is just a law unto itself… I’ve never experienced this much of an improvement from a single box swap. The thing that surprised me the most, is how much better it makes my Rega RP6/Ania/Rega Fono sound. I expected the 552 to show up shortcomings in the turntable/phono amp, but it’s done quite the opposite… it sounds like I’ve upgraded the turntable too! Yes it’s depleted my savings and the NAP 300DR is out the window for the long foreseeable, but honestly I am so pleased with how things sound that I really don’t feel I want to change anything else now.

This all said, did I compare it directly to a 252 in my system at the time I bought it?… no. Can I say that I wouldn’t have had a similar experience if I had gone with the 252?… no. All I can say is it is way ahead of my 282/supercapDR combo and I am very content with where I am now.

23 Likes

This is likely due to the cable you were using for system automation. A cheap cable degraded the sound. I use a custom shielded cable and it made a difference.

5 Likes

Interesting Chris. Yes it was the cheapest.

I’m not missing system automation though so happy to continue with it disabled & disconnected.

G

2 Likes