6 Nations

Watching France yesterday, while one player doesn’t make a team, Dupont’s absence, what with his ability to make something from nothing, was sorely missed. If defending teams know the 9 is only going to shovel the ball and not pose a threat around the breakdowns, it’s far easier to set-up in a line. This is where Mitchell offered something yesterday.

I’m not sure how England’s rush defence can work when you’ve not got speedy athletes like Kolbe on the edge. England were quite fortunate yesterday IMHO, in what was a tedious game at times. Like @Alley_Cat , I viewed Chessum’s contact as more of a ‘rugby incident’ – he was low and effecting a close quarters tackle. I find the ‘2nd man in’ narrative flawed in such situations.

1 Like

Where I live Bradfield College is just down the road , and they don’t play rugby preferring football :soccer:, my guess is that there was a serious incident at some point in time.

Very good with cricket from Mark Nicholas to Lauren Bell

2 Likes

I worked there for ten years - when I started in 2003, football was already firmly established as the major sport. Anecdotally, they’d deliberately moved away from rugby in the 90s, when some in the education world were predicting that school rugby’s days were numbered due to safety concerns. I suspect there were other factors too, but there was definitely no talk of a specific incident.

ISTR, however, a few nasty rugby injuries in other schools in the 90s that probably added weight to the argument for stopping playing.

Mark

1 Like

As far as I know they never played Rugby. A great disappontment to me when I was there in the early 70s.

1 Like

Which explains why we (NCP) never played them.

Well, that’s news to me! So much for anecdotal evidence.

As a neutral rather hoping wales make a better contest of this in the second half. Irish scrum is dominating and they are quicker and stronger at the breakdown.

You got your wish. Ireland did not get away with a few calls but Wales have probably not done enough from sin bin period - should have taken 3 I think.

1 Like

All pretty ragged stuff. Wales can be congratulated for persistence, but short of quality. Ireland hardly vintage today.

Bruce

1 Like

The atmosphere seemed pretty flat 1st half, I wasn’t expecting a huge amount from Wales, but I think there are some individual sparks of decent play which will improve with further experience.

Missed the end as had to take someone to A&E.

Calcutta cup goes to the team with the few moments of class. The other one is an error strewn mess. You sense there might be a reasonable side in that squad somewhere but the jigsaw just doesn’t fit together right now.

Bruce

2 Likes

Oh, Flower of Scotland!

1 Like

Thought England were fortunate with the set-move try, as Slade (I think) was ahead of the ball and made contact with the opposing Scottish centre = normal pen. As you say, poor handling, passing, clunky moves and defensive errors. And when England needed to open things out in H2 they went to the air, just for a change (not). Just the type of messy game the Scots like against an England team who, not for the first time, got beaten from broken/open play. Not a great advert for the game IMHO.

1 Like

At this stage of the WC cycle isn’t it time for England to really reset? They have been average at best for several years, EJ dug them into a hole and no sign Borthwick is going to do anything except tweak from down in the pit. Watching England revert to high-kick-n-hope when chasing the game yesterday just illustrated how mediocre this team is.

Not just new faces in coaching and squad needed but a whole new attitude and approach I reckon. I have to believe there are decent players out there who need a chance and a licence to play.

Of course England usually manage one decent performance in every 6nations, but even if they turn over France or Ireland it can’t hide how abject they are.

Tempting to look at a comparison with the woeful state of English Test cricket when they chucked the reins to Stokes and Mccullum with their ‘no fear’ philosophy. They picked players they rated, stuck to them, told them to play positively and built a great team spirit.

Bruce

1 Like

The view from my turret on a high perch is:

1- very sadly the laws of the game now orientate towards a power & kicking game, which means elusive runners are a rarity, often present only on the wings (unless you’re France with Dupont). Centres are often the size of props/locks from yesteryear. The regular open running game, once that thing of beauty, is now consigned to history at international level – thankfully not in the Prem at times. I hate with a passion the offside laws which permit a FH to kick 40M+ and then not have to play their team on-side. Stupidity on stilts.

2- England don’t have the personnel 9+ to match others (or at 1 & 3 arguably). Jones stuck with Manu and the class of 2019 far too long. Playing Steward at 15 gives you great kick defence but not a lot else (IMV), as he’s too slow and unathletic in open play at this level. England, even when winning the 6N’s under Jones, never had a creative 3/4 line – they had moments, but they relied on pressure rugby (often kicking) and a strong pack, with the likes of Manu as a battering ram.

3- You can play a lighter-weight running 3/4 line (proper speed on the wings/a Smith at FH), but then you expose yourselves like Wales to simply being run over in midfield if your pack can’t dominate. Gone are the days sadly when a team with a very middling pack (e.g. Australia), could win a game with dynamic 3/4’s.

So there’s no hope!

Nope – not with a 10-team Premiership which has a material % of overseas players present, noting several former England players are now playing in France.

1 Like

Sadly I have lost interest in international rugby. The qualification rules are complete nonsense.
“van der Merwe became available for the Scottish international rugby team in Summer 2020. This was based on residency having then lived in Scotland for 3 years since he joined Edinburgh” wiki. He then quite quickly signed for an English team. ( Worcester. )

It makes it all meaningless imho. I say this as an Anglo/Scot.

2 Likes

I’ve felt the same for a few years, more due to so many rule changes (I can’t keep up) which have left the game a shadow of its former self.

1 Like

Same here (agreeing with @Collywobbles too). It used to be said that RU was a game for all body types (it still is at weekend club levels), but nowadays the laws are orientated towards larger units and the constant stop/start of play, further enabled by the astonishing 8 subs. For me a prop who can’t play for 80 mins, shouldn’t be on the pitch. The latter aspect is supposedly in the name of safety – well, smaller (less muscled) more aerobically capable players = smaller mass impacts. IMHO, World Rugby have a lot to answer for in managing the game down the ‘power’ and (aimless) kicking path.

4 Likes