72/HiCap upgrades

First time here and need some help.
I have original 72/hicap250 and not sure whether to send the 72 in for local Naim service or upgrade to HiCap DR. Any suggestions?

Nice setup :slightly_smiling_face:
When was the 250 and Hicap serviced as these are more critical than the 72?

3 Likes

A full service of all three items will set you back about £700 with Darren at Class A. I’m not sure a Hicap DR would help the 72 if the 250 is in need of a service. The Olive 72/Hicap/ 250
Is considered a bit of a classic from Naim.

3 Likes

If it’s an all olive line up I’d get it all serviced/recapped. Hopefully the turnaround at Naim is reasonable now. CDS2/XPS/72/hc/250 was my lineup for years and it was one of my favorite, best of the olive for me. I wasn’t aware Naim is DRing olive kit but if they are go for it. :smiley:

2 Likes

No, they do not, AFAIK… The OP , I think meant, buying a HiCap DR…?

Continuing the discussion from [72/HiCap upgrades

I The HiCap and 250 have had reserve caps changed a few years ago and the 250 was checked out by Naim when the power switch broke. System is still really musical and after I added the streamer I was thinking maybe my old olive pieces need some help.

There may be an argument for sending the amp for full service.

Was this a Service - not clear…? Who did it, If I may…?

Absolutely agree, this with a Lingo 1 LP12 and Epos ES 14s in the early 90’s was probably the most satisfying hi-fi I’ve heard in terms of system synergy.

I had the olive NAP 250s and HICAPs serviced by Class A a few years ago. Wish I’d had the NAC 72 done as well - it now has distortion on one channel but when working I wasn’t sure that for me personally if I actually preferred it over the NAC 282. The NAC 72 is likely to go to Class A at some stage given Naim’s recent move to separate repair/servicing costs potentially doubling the outlay - I may be wrong but I strongly suspect a service might fix an issue considered a repair anyway, so why separate charges?

4 Likes

Thats a understatement… IMO… :thinking:

3 Likes

I will have to check my records to see what service was done on the 250 by Naim.
My earlier point about HiCap DR was not an upgrade but an actual replacement.

1 Like

Get the lot serviced ( if you can afford it), and bring the lot back to how it was designed. Inless it has been back to naim or Class A, others like to make " improvements " by adding bugger caps or other stuff. Both my 72/hc/140s have been to Sheffield and back over the past 2 years. Ready for another 15 years of work.

4 Likes

:astonished:

1 Like

Must check my spelling before posting!

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’ve never heard a comparison between an Olive HC and a HCDR on the 72. I’d imagine the DR would sound better but would offend the purists :wink:

2 Likes

My 72 & 135 sounded very slightly better when swopping out the olive hicap for a classic hi-cap, so i would expect a classic hicap-DR to improve up again. Or maybe a case of them being different and it being dependent upon which difference one prefers.

3 Likes

I have an Olive SC that has been DR’d with a classic 252.

3 Likes

:astonished:

We can always learn more…

Actually there is another one for sale in NZ matched with a 52. If I didn’t have the 252, I’d be in with a grin :sunglasses:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.