803 D4 Nap300DR - upgrade to amp or add subs? The bass seems to lack grip

Tried this a little earlier and dammit, it did seem to make a subtle difference. In the mind? Expectation bias? Dunno! But I might be wiggling my Diamonds quarterly from here on too. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi sorry…
Just read the start of this thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned…

Just get a stereo pair of RELs… I’ve added S3s to my B&Ws and the bass is amazing… far far better than I’d expected…

1 Like

Hi A
Thanks again for oyur thoughts.
The cables for the 350s are a balanced DIN to XLR .Apparently not quite as effective as going to another NC component as it will not be truly balanced. I was very interested to hear you thought the Super lumina DIN to XLR made a difference. I have Nordost Valhalla on the system from source to speaker cables. I had even found a pair of Nordost Din to XLR which I had Connected from 552 to 300DR. But was advised they would not work on the new 350 so i had to get Naim Cables. I have often thought of trying the super Lunina Cables.

Super Lumina DIN-XLRs for the old 300 would not be suitable for use on the New Classic NAP350 as they aren’t balanced.

Thanks for the reply Richard, I was aware of that.
I did receive a specific cable from Nain to go from the 552 Power supply to the 350 but apparently this is a balanced cable but the 552 output is unbalanced. which begs the question is the 350s suitable for older naim?

Yes, but you need one of the special cables that Naim make so you can run an Old Classic/Legacy pre-amp with a New Classic Power amp. Signal leads No.7 in the FAQ;

The SL DIN XLR just lets more of the signal through, more bandwidth and clarity and preserves more of the musical energy. Big increase in resolution also

But in hindsight there’s nothing wrong with the standard naim cable. What I have spent on SL cables could also have been used on a FRAIM or upgrade to a Supercap DR. These SL are really very good so couldn’t resist!

They stopped me buying a NAC 552 till now as the increase in resolution with a source capable of it like Mscaler/Dave is really audible and enjoyable

I would use a naim cable, naim engineers know what they’re doing

1 Like

Hi all
I am going to run in the 350s for a couple of hundred hours by leaving a CD on continuous Play withe the Volume on the 552 turned right down.
Is this a process you would agree with? would you recommend I give the CD player a break and let it cool down once in a while? EG Daily/Weekly.
Thanks
Steve

If you want to “run in” the amp it would happen far quicker with preamp volume set high… You could put the speakers close up face to face, reversing connections to one to put it out of phase, while ideally feeding from a mono source, to cancel much output, or if that is too noisy disconnect them though that would put less load on the amps.

I’d suggest using a streamer playing internet radio or similar. No reason to burn up your cd player

1 Like

Thanks Guys
I don’t have a streamer unfortunately. Also if I have it up high it might annoy the Neighbours.
Does leaving it on low work at all? That way I can still use the room.
Cheers
Steve

You won’t run in power amps if the volume is set to minimum. They aren’t actually getting any signal. Just use them normally and they will come good.

1 Like

My previous post addressed this and suggested two ways as to how to do it.

And the speakers connected in opposite phase!

Yes, sorry I should have said that - now added.

And if that is still too noisy, then, but second best, disconnect the speakers.

Let’s be realistic about this. The performance you hear now is almost as good as it gets. A few weeks of run in May give slight improvements but if not happy with the sound now, you never will be!

Burn in is just an extended period of enjoyment - not a phase for cure!

1 Like

Ok so a bit of an update. I tried passive bi-amping with a 250 and the 300. Nope that isn’t for me. Felt messy is the only way I can describe it.

I have been really enjoying the system and then I added the CD555PS - omfg jaw on the floor. Now I have to buy the bloody thing.

4 Likes

Do you mean that has solved the bass problem?

Originally through the 1980s I disliked CD: Partly because of some harshness in the treble, but fundamentally (sic) there was no real bass.It wasn’t until I heard the Cambridge CD2 in about 1989 or 1990 that the bottom filled in as well as top edge eased. I guess that a fair number of digital sources lack real bass even now (as of course do some LPs, indeed some recordings).

Ok so the bass problem was pretty much solved in my view when i isolated the speakers. The wheels are helpful for moving but not for supporting.

Then I added the power supply and other level clarity and control and range. It was like opening a door.

Just for clarity I added the power supply for the CD to the NDX2