803 D4 Nap300DR - upgrade to amp or add subs? The bass seems to lack grip

Actually £2 coins will match the metal trim in our plugs etc

1 Like

Small children have been known to remove coins from under speaker spikes with bad results for the speakers :grimacing: (probably not a problem with your speakers to be fair :rofl:)

1 Like

Well it is Xmas, we used to have a sixpence buried in the Xmas pud………probably a bad idea these days.

2 Likes

Oooouch - although as you say 65kg is not going to be lifted by anyone soon.

1 Like

I found tuppence pieces tended to stick to my parquet floor after a time, unlike the quadraspire spike shoes I now use.

Roger

Leaving a permanent imprint of HM QE2?

2 Likes

lamby2244, Firstly Merry Christmas! Secondly, reading this note gave me a flash back many years ago when I bought a pair of Naim NBL speakers. They sounded great in the retail demonstration room and when I got them home I placed their spiked feet on two pence coins. This was with the intention of protecting a suspended timber floor. I was quickly advised via this forum that coins can be hugely detrimental to the speakers’ sound quality. Indeed they were remarkably ‘screechy’ with out of control treble and very lacking in bass. I borrowed a set of Naim Chips (stainless steel discs with cups for the spikes) and this made a remarkable improvement. The room itself was always a problem but I wonder if coins may be contributing to your reported problem.

Peter

3 Likes

I love this forum for that kind of detail. Lols I will play.

… and some put the Naim chips upside down since that is supposed to sound better!

No, just a circle which showed up on the floor.

Roger

If possible I would like to give my opinion as a B&W enthusiast for over 20 years. I have always deliberately preferred the B&W stand models as paradoxically, perhaps due to the cut of the crossover, they are more present at the bottom compared to their proportions. I have had friends with B&W 803s and 802s who went crazy to fly them properly, mono Class, McIntosh 452 etc. There’s only one ‘problem’… B&W will NEVER be able to deliver a telluric bass because it’s not in their DNA. For me, you either accept them like this or you go crazy behind them. The Gaia will only tighten the lows even more.

1 Like

@lamby2244 I was thinking you should consider the Boulder Amplifiers 866, Digital Version! It’s got plenty of power 200 wpc into 8 ohms 400 wpc into 4 ohms. In the Digital version it has an excellent DAC and Streamer. Boulder Audio is one of the most HiEnd companies out there. Google is your friend :smirk:

Agree 100 percent but I think this also may include other speaker companies also. I like the musical cohesion of stands to my ears… much easier than trying to make a large floor stander work

It was said that the owners of Dynaudio said the confidence C1 standmounter was his favourite speaker

I’m going through the same debate myself now… floor or stand mounter ??

1 Like

A friend has a Boulder with Dac, great amp. In a test with the 803 D3s at my dealer we tried the Luxman 509x, Esoteric in class A and Gryphon Diablo 300, for all of us the only one capable of driving them properly.

The Diablo? Or Bolder?

I never thought I’d end up with a stand mount…

Diablo 300

1 Like

Better amp…a 500 would do nicely…

1 Like

I have skimmed through and this is my fault for not wishing to read 237 posts. @Richieroo is on the money. These speakers are current soakers:

Technical Details
Technical features
Diamond tweeter
Solid body Tweeter-on-Top
Continuum™ cone FST
Matrix™
Anti-Resonance plug
Biomimetic Suspension
Turbine™ Head
Aerofoil™ cone bass units
Flowport
Description
3-way vented-box system
Drive units
1x ø25mm (1in) Diamond dome high-frequency
1x ø130mm (5in) Continuum cone FST midrange
2x ø180mm (7in) Aerofoil cone bass units
Frequency range
16Hz to 35kHz
Frequency response
19Hz to 28kHz (+/-3dB from reference axis)
Sensitivity
90dB (on axis at 2.83Vrms at 1m)
Harmonic distortion
2nd and 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m on axis)
<1% 80Hz – 20kHz
<0.3% 100Hz – 20kHz
Nominal impedance
8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)
Recommended amplifier power
50W – 500W into 8Ω on unclipped programme
Max recommended cable impedance
0.1Ω

They can draw 63 amps. With efficient and high dB SPL specifications, one would think a SN3 could drive them. They do have the bass figures. You will require a high-current drive or a nice headphone set and amplifier. Is your room large or small?

I would forget the sub for now. I think your speakers would outclass any sub if driven well enough.

Warm regards,

Mitch in Oz.

I am sure an SN3 will drive the speakers well…however, from your specs I think you would benefit from the best amplification you can get…and those speakers would then start to shine.