803 D4 Nap300DR - upgrade to amp or add subs? The bass seems to lack grip

I have reached pretty much the same conclusion after years of experimenting. Most “one-box” speakers have a curtailed bass response and those that don’t tend to produce bass that is boomy and not well controlled. Although I resisted it for years I eventually found that the most acceptable solution was to add a high quality subwoofer designed specifically for integration into a stereo system and to use it sparingly. Properly set up the difference is that you get more bass information rather than just more bass. This is particularly noticeable on the kick drum, bass and bass pedals where you seem to get a more realistic representation of their actual sound. Of course, subwoofers have their own issues and getting them well integrated with the mains requires a lot of experimentation. However, for me, this is a better compromise than trying to get mains with a good low frequency response.

1 Like

Just swap them for a pair of Shahinian Obelisks. They have castors instead of spikes, so you can roll them around the room as much as you want.

1 Like

I have the Obelisks as well and this is actually a really really nice feature as it allows them to blend (fade) more into the interior than most speakers.

We have a phrase here …“you can’t polish a turd”. Imo when you bring a new speaker into your listening room it should sound at least good with the kit driving . A good baseline to build via positioning and supports . If it doesn’t you’ve got the wrong speaker .
I brought in ( unpayed for) 802d3 to be driven by my 300dr. I knew it was not working and they left a week later. I never once doubted my front end .
I subbed in my Nait 50 and Linn Keilidh and had a superb sound .
They were simply the wrong speaker for the room .

I get the impression that the OP is actually pretty happy, but just trying to get the last 1% or whatever. How many people here (other than me!) don’t go to extraordinary lengths with isolation platforms, feet, cables, toe in/out, switches and switch power supplies etc etc trying to squeeze that last little bit?

2 Likes

I took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it. I moved the speakers out (now 60cm from the wall, added my mains conditioner and put the speakers on their spikes not the casters. After putting it back and reconnecting everything we were back in our good place. Thank god I did fiddle and play.

One thing the neighbour pointed out is that the building site 50m away (building 6 houses) is running off our power box in the lane. Don’t know if that could have made a difference?

For sure the room, speaker position and isolation seem super big factors, and I will from here on in only home demo before purchase.

3 Likes

Not at night.

Great if you are able - for many people that is not an option, but I mentioned a way of assisting relating dealer demos to your own room in an earlier post. FWIW through my 4 speaker purchases over the decades, and one used in 5 homes (then someone else’s), another used in 4 homes (the other 2 just in the one), on only one occasion did a new location cause problems that normal adjustment of positioning didn’t fix satisfactorily. With that problem room REW assisted a complete room rearrangement and finding good speaker and listening positions where it all came on song. And the two subsequent speakers in the same room slotted in well with only minor adjustment (though because I had discovered REW I used that to assist).

@Innocent_Bystander I do wonder if it’s because my space is so different to the demo environment. The speakers are in the middle of a room 9.2m wide and 5.5 deep. And then the height is 2.7m (unusually high).

Just listening to JMJ Oxygene and it’s alive again. So pleased.

1 Like

I was listening in the day.

In my experience that’s always the case! Invariably longer or shorter, narrower or wider, higher or lower, and in modern times having acoustic panels evident. That’s why if a home demo is not achievable I advocate taking your existing speakers (unless the dealer has a pair) to give a baseline as to how the sound in the room compares to your own. And unless changing your amp is on the cards, taking your amp if the dealer doesn’t have the same, so you know what the combination is like.

1 Like

In my many years of experience most stores don’t sound very good. Lots of other products using the AC , noise levels are higher, drop ceilings and so on. Houses almost always sound better. At least in the US.

2 Likes

@lamby2244 Before you settle on the Gaia’s, consider the Stack Audio Auva 100 isolators. I got them recently for my Kudos T505 and while they didn’t produce deeper bass they did provide much tighter and detailed bass, alongside greater overall clarity and a frankly astonishing uplift in stoundstaging.

They won’t create what’s not there, rather they provide the best version of the speakers they’re bolted to. They have a 30-day return so if they don’t work for you then no harm, no foul.

I’m also a fellow NAP300 DR owner and love it to pieces, FYI.

2 Likes

@lamby2244

You haven’t mentioned the construction of your floor. Dependant on what it is will determine whether you need spikes or not.

For example, if it’s carpet/underlay over a solid (concrete) floor, then spikes would be best.

If it’s suspended or other, then isolation feet could be used.

This is a general rule. However, as with all rules, not everyone follows them and do what they want, based on the sound that they like and, nothing wrong with that.

You say you like what you have got now with the spikes. Either keep as it is and enjoy that, or experiment with isolation feet. But make sure that you eat them from a place that allows you trial them and return the FOC. That way, nothing lost, but a bit of time and effort.

Whatever you do, enjoy the music

Merry Christmas.

DG…

1 Like

Thanks and yes I am going to experiment with a couple of options and will not be buying before trying.

My floor is a vinyl tile on screed. The spikes are on 2 pence pieces (lol) while I wait to either put feet on or little cups so the floor doesn’t damage.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the alternative I wanted more than one option so that helps.

Fwiw, I have spoken to Theo Stack a couple of times, and he has always struck me as very helpful and very sensible in his design approach on various items.

I believe Stack offers a 30-day trial period (with cash back if you don’t like his feet) to those in the UK. You may well find Gaia dealers willing to the same in a matter of moments if you google them.

Your tuppence pieces will work just as well!

They seem to be. I have a confused wife tho - apparently they don’t go with the rest of the decor!

1 Like

10p pieces so different colour? Or 50p to bring in shape?

1 Like

My dealer has offered the Gaias to dem. I will look up the stack ones too.

1 Like