A bass work out

Heard about this dub/roots outfit that packs a punch. It’s chilled too, as you might expect.

6 Likes

IMG_2044

Bass pedals on this album especially track 3 and the last one. :scream:

Pah! Pathetic. Biggest bass workout ever is this.

7 Likes

64’ open diapason.

4 Likes

Got bass?
The bug - Pressure - 2003

2 Likes

Organs are crazy things. Photo above is only 32 feet.

9 Likes

This will have your room shaking, and your driver cones wobbling all over the place… it’s one of my sub bass go to test tracks. It can sound a mess if you have sub bass over hang or bad bass phase alignment, especially at the polyrhythmic part of the track.
Another track I used to use was the start of the Jam’s Down in the Tube Station at Midnight… right at the start there is a field recording of a London Underground tube train arriving into a tunnel station, and the subsonics are spectacular… your listening room becomes like a station platform with appropriate speakers (my current RED 50s alas only hint at this as they fall away below 40 Hz, but use speakers with bandwidth down to 20 Hz ) … you just need to turn down before the music starts :grinning:

5 Likes

Massive Attack V Mad Professor Part II

Inertia Creeps (Floating On Dubwise)

6 Likes

Simon you have taken me back to the 60’s when hifi enthusiasts were listening to records of trains passing through stations!

3 Likes

I remember hearing this live when I was twenty, pretty sure that one contributed to my tinnitus :laughing:.

2 Likes

For a test, Hans Zimmer & James Netwon Howard - Like a Dog Chasing Cars.

@NogBadTheBad already mentioned Massive Attack, I’d like to add Angel by Massive Attack too!

There’s a few popping into my head now, one more I would recommend is Daft Punk - Doin It Right

artworks-000334258746-k1z87k-t500x500

By the way, if you have Qobuz, you can search the term ‘bass’ in playlists and it comes up with playlists like ‘Harbeth Nelson Big-Bass Fun tracks’ etc. which is probably what this thread will roughly look like by the end of it. Not that I want to spoil the fun!

6 Likes

My friend’s son, who currently plays bass in two local bands, showed me that Rio and Too Shy are good warm-up tracks. I was impressed by Rio and blown away by how complex Too Shy was.

4 Likes

This one digs pretty deep

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Deadmau5 is always a good test of bass.

2 Likes

A great remix of a great song from the 90s.

Nick Beggs is right up there on the bass. Incredible player and technique. Not the only instrument he plays either.

3 Likes

The Darkness In Men’s Hearts - Nick Beggs or Mackenzie Crook.

This is a beautiful album - a compilation of Chapman Stick pieces.

3 Likes
3 Likes