A bit too bright - mellower speaker shortlist

No worries, I think I’ll duck out of this thread because it seems as though it is going nowhere :relaxed:

3 Likes

Other tweaks which may or may not help with the brightness ;

1. Furutech NCF booster at power cord entry into IEC of components
  2. Isoacoustics Gaia for speakers
  3. Placement of speakers (less toe-in, further away from walls)
1 Like

ProAc D48’s should be on your short list. The ribbon tweeter is detailed but never harsh. Great bass.

1 Like

Yes, I was about to list the Proac D2R but the bass wasn’t that great. The floorstanders would be good.

1 Like

I have a good friend tells me that the focal beryllium tweeter is a bit harsh for him. I guess when you brought them you where under the impression they would settle down.
Id say keep them and invest in a good vinyl replay device. But I would say that…

1 Like

I’ve never liked the new system - only the old system.

The Focal Sopras were never harsh with my original NDX / non-DR 300 system, only with the new setup (as listed in the original post above).

Two words - ‘Esotar tweeters’

Via the Dynaudio Confidence or Contour range.

3 Likes

Oh, sorry skimmed the thread. I’d be concerned about the new setup then. But still I’d suggest get some Vinyl replay device😜

I am lost for words since 12 o’clock suddenly changed to 10 o’clock… etc :confused:

Please do not bother me again since I said I was ducking out of this thread (I was only trying to help you eliminate possibilities but you appear bent on getting the last word). I have noticed that you have already edited your original post twice in quick succession. Please make up your mind instead of subjecting everyone to your inconsistent changing mind :relaxed:

5 Likes

I have a similar system except my speakers which are ATC. I’ve also reported similar problems with brightness in the past so reading with interest.

As most recordings sound superb to me, I put it down to sub standard recordings and the revealing nature of the NDS, and I’ve learnt to live with it. Until I upgrade my speakers at least.

2 Likes

Maybe the changes made to the OP’s system have simply disturbed the balance with the Sopra 1’s ?

In particular, others have reported similar with respect to the DR upgrade and changed speakers as a consequence.

Focal speakers are considered a bit too bright/revealing by some. For my part I’ve never heard the Sopra’s but I ran a pair of Focal Elektra 1028Be’s for many years. I liked them but my wife felt they were too bright.

Ultimately we changed to Kudos Titan 606’s, which cured the brightness issue for my wife and resolved our burgeoning nervousness with respect to the incompatibility between young grand-children and Beryllium tweeters.

The Titans are wonderful, more mellow than the BE1028’s, with great clarity and controlled bass.
Lovely to listen to.

So I checked this out, I have a similar source and amplification (250 DR though). I started with the 192/24 Qobuz version by mistake, and gosh, it’s pretty bright - unpleasant really. So I called up my rip of the original CD and it was way better. So, there seems to be some noticeable variability in recordings that a high-end sytem will revel. Now enjoying Power Windows :sunglasses:.

I chose Totem Forest Signatures over the Focal Kantas 2 when I demoed. The Focals were too bright for my tastes - maybe the DR’ing of the 300 has just exposed that nature of the Focals for your taste?

2 Likes

From my experience, most systems will sound slightly bright when played at a high volume (12 o’clock position on the dial) for several hours. This post is not intended to elicit a response from the OP but here is a photo of a demo I attended with a system fronted by a pair of Sopra 1’s :relaxed:

2 Likes

Why do you want standmounters in the first place? I’d always go with floorstanders if there is a modell within the range of speakers you are looking at and if your budget allows it. Your room is not really small either, i think it’s a really good size where many speakers could work.

As for speakers recommendations (some i have heard, some i have to rely on trusted sources)

Harbeth (30.2, C7ES or SLH5)
Spendor A7 or maybe even the D range)
Dynaudio (Heritage Special, Contour 30)
Wilson Audio TuneTot
KEF Reference 1 or 3

2 Likes

The Sopra 1 is very efficient and the 300 very powerful. Playing at 10 0’clock on the dial will be very, very loud, and it’s highly likely to lead to permanent hearing damage. Having lost the hearing in one ear last year - certainly not due to loud music and very likely a virus - I know how precious hearing is, and I’d strongly recommend getting used to lower volumes. That may banish the brightness in one fell swoop.

When I listened to Sopra 1s I found them far too bright for comfort, and that was at sensible volumes, so it’s perhaps not surprising that when you turn it up the problems can start, especially with less than stellar recordings.

Reading what Mike wrote reminds me of a time when a couple of Forum members visited. One brought along a remaster of a Massive Attack album and it was unpleasantly bright. I then dug out my original version and it was lovely. The NDS, 252 and 300 are very revealing and will show a recording for what it is. A very bright recording, coupled with speakers on the brighter side and deafness inducing volumes is a recipe for an evacuation-inducing sound.

To summarise: first get used to lower volumes, and if that doesn’t work, find some different speakers that are easier to live with.

5 Likes

I should add that I have a similar sized room and I had much deliberation over whether to run a 250 DR or 300 DR on the 252. Several forum members felt that a 300 might not be a happy combination and overload the room and my dealer agreed. In the end I have the 250 and are delighted with it and it will fully engage the room at 9 o’clock. I sometimes go louder, I like to feel the music.

I’ve no idea how the DR would impact on the 300 though.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree!

I agree with HH, even 10 0’clock on the 252 with a relatively efficient speaker will probably bring you at 90-95dB volume. I almost never go above 09:30 on my Supernait 3 and have moderatly efficient speakers.

You probably wrote something about your room in your previous post, but a slightly overdampened room helps at getting the volume louder while rounding off the edges if that is important to you. I listened to the Spendor’s at a dealers with a fully carpeted floor and was surprised how loud i could turn the volume up, even on piano recordings where i usually want to turn the volume down when fortissimo is played.

Isn’t one of the benefits of the 300 that it delivers the full experience at lower volumes? Only rarely do I go beyond 09:00 on my 250 and only then on vinyl.