A bit too bright - mellower speaker shortlist

You’re a long time member of this forum and it could be said that your opinion carries much weight here but I have to politely disagree, because I have also listened to the Sopra 1’s and 2’s on several occasions and I would not describe them as inherently bright. I am sure that Naim has sold thousands of these speakers to happy customers and I also believe that Clare owns a pair of Sopra 2’s in classic Stormtrooper white :relaxed:

1 Like

Some people are more sensible to treble then others. At a concert i often have to wince when the hi-hats of a drum kit are hit hard, so it is really just a matter of how you hear things. We really hear things differently, especially in the higher frequencies.

1 Like

I would certainly replace any 3rd party PSUs here with proper Naim ones. They will change the performance of the equipment and in most cases very much for the worse in my experience.

Also, do I recall correctly from your other thread that you have the NDS sited on a large marble slab?

I once tried this as I had some thick marble shelves from a custom made rack. Under my CDS3 it did some really weird things to the sound, making what was once a sweet sounding player now have a rather brightly tipped up top end with a bit of an edge to it.

I wonder whether this may also have something to do with the problem?

2 Likes

All I said was that I found them too bright. Of course others like them.

That may well be the case, especially as the NDS has the metal feet and I believe the previous player did not. From the other thread I believe the OP used a glass Quadraspire, which will give a bright sound, especially with a metal footed Naim box. I’m not convinced it’s the speakers that are the issue, especially if they were fine before.

As this thread is now discussing the same issues as the OP’s other post, I wonder if merging them or closing one is best. That would ensure the best focus on solving the issue. Maybe the OP hopes that by opening multiple threads about the same thing that they will receive different answers.

I have this exact same system and my Spendor D7.2s seems a good match. Warm, detailed and involving. Worth a demo.

I can’t even fathom how someone can play as loud as 10 o’clock. Not even my son does that. My room is 4x5 meters. I never ever go past 9, well maybe just a little, sometimes. Normal listening is rarely as high as 9 though. So my tip would be, turn it down, please, for your hearing.

My system is in my profile.

Sadly too many posts on both threads to merge. I think I will close this one and link to the original as it does seem to be the same issue.