A bit too bright

If this is true, then @bitsrbits would be able to solve his problem by placing a towel underneath his gear as a test. I’d be curious to know if that has any effect.

Edit: i personally expect that this is more an anthropomorphisation of the issue or an ‘appeal to nature’ fallacy. We associate glass with unnaturalness and coldness and wood with naturalness and warmth, so that makes it easier to project those characteristics on the sound that comes out of equipment resting on that material. A similar effect may be heard when listening to an amplifier with red lights or one with blue lights.

10 Likes

To me it removed the digital edge to the sound, which I suppose results in a more mellow, smooth sound.

I hate to use the term ‘more analogue’ but that does fit here.

1 Like

Have things improved over the 100 hours you have been running the DR’d 300?

1 Like

It’s really hard to say whether I’m getting used to the sound or it has changed, but my perception is that the system is slightly less bright than it was to start with. Still not to my taste though.

I also think I’m listening to more mellow types of music as a way of avoiding the brightness.

That’s not good. I really think it’s worth trying a non glass rack. Do you have a wooden coffee table that you can try under the NDS?

1 Like

Yes - that’s a major logistical operation but I’ll put it on my to-do list.

Can I ask again about your speaker stands and positioning? It’s right people are focusing on the electronics, but the speakers need to be optimised, too…

2 Likes

I’m just off out but I’ll get back to you on this. Speaker stands are the Focal ones that come with the Sopra 1s. They’re pretty substantial.

1 Like

It’s altogether possible that there’s nothing wrong as such, you’ve changed the system and the synergy has changed too so perhaps the new sound is just not to your liking. I would give it more time though as your brain will adapt

1 Like

Yes, it is quite possible the NDS/555PSDR and the DR’d 300 has revealed the ‘explicit’ nature of that Beryllium tweeter. Such excesses can be ameliorated however with attention to speaker positioning, ‘softening’ room materials, racking choice, cable dressing and cable choices. BTW, I never got on with the HiLine in a system very similar to yours.

Please also remember the DRing of the 300 can take a long time to come ‘on song’.

1 Like

If one was being unkind, one could say that if the tweeter needs to be ameliorated by a whole fistful of not inexpensive adjustements, then it’s not that great in the first place. Maybe putting a jumper over it would fix it.

Your well-known dislike for Beryllium tweeters does not negate the many awards - and tens of thousands of happy users - they have. Getting childish is not helping the OP.

11 Likes

Do i assume correctly that since you had to return the 300 to Naim factory for the upgrade, you have not listened to your system for many months?

The OP seems to like the sound the Sopra 1 produces, just that the balance has changed. Cheaper and more convenient to play with speaker positioning, room layout/softening and cable dressing first than to seek new speakers.

I have heard Sopra 1s sound stunning with ND555/552/300DR, so let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

4 Likes

My 2p worth advice would be to try bringing the front spikes up a bit - or the back spikes down a bit. Giving the tweeter firing up slightly more, with the bass mid driver firing more towards your ears.

2 Likes

And maybe get the dealer (who organised the 300 DRing or who sold the NDS/555PSDR) around to the OP’s house to have a listen and a tweak.

2 Likes

At the end of the day, it may also be that you just prefered how the sound was before your upgrade. More expensive and “better” products do not a guarantee that you will enjoy their presentation more.

As you seem to have upgraded all at once, it is difficult to find the culprit here, but i think that with careful speaker adjustement to your new system, you may come closer to the sound you had before.

Interconnects and racks will not account enough for the quite drastic change you seem to be experiencing in my opinion.

6 Likes

Magico’s £840,000 M9 speaker also sports a Beryllium tweeter so it seems that more than one high end manufacturer sees merit in them. :blush:

2 Likes

Clare, I’ve never once said I dislike beryllium tweeters. I was simply responding to @NigelB ‘s suggestions that various things could be done to compensate for the characteristics of the aforementioned tweeter. Nothing more, nothing less, and not something that warrants accusations of childishness I’d suggest.