A bit too bright

“Maybe putting a jumper over it would fix it” is not a productive suggestion, and you know it :wink:

Anyway, let’s move on!

6 Likes

FWIW, I have a set-up with NDS, Allegri+, 300DR, the Sopra1 and Naca5. They sound great and not bright at all.

2 Likes

You sound like just the person @bitsrbits needs to speak to!

1 Like

It’s better than too much po faced seriousness and endless calls for blind testing though, as I’m sure you’ll agree. We can all get a bit too protective at times.

Blind testing is free, a Fraim is not…

4 Likes

I’d first advise you to run the 300 for a couple of weeks just to take the edge off the new components and let them ‘settle in’ to their new role off the parts shelf.

I’ll assume that you re-installed the amplifier and so I’ll point you to some advice on handling Burndies.

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878607928479&coid=159503632588889

Obviously - turn off any devices you are adjusting and wait a few minutes (or more) to be sure the power supplies are fully discharged.

You should also check the Burndy/ies on your streamer.

The intention is to de-stress the, enormously inflexible, lead while it is out of the mating socket while being oriented in a way that will allow it to enter the socket without strain - hence the advice to mark the top. I also marked for channel as 135s and 300s (and 500s) only work one way.

NAP 300 PS Burndies

5 Likes

That is ‘a bit too bright’.

I’m with you on anthropomorphisation.

I’m not sure that anthropomorphisation is actually a word. In fact I know it’s not. Anthropomorphism is attributing human characteristics to an animal or object.

Saying that glass supports can give a bright sound, or even a glassy sound, or that steel supports can give a steely sound, is not anthropomorphism.

There is I’m sure a term for it, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it is.

The centre lines of the speakers are 1.6m apart and the speakers are toed in by about 10 degrees.

The speakers are in front of the chimney breast which is also about 1.6m wide. Looking from the listening position, the inner half of each speaker is in front of the chimney breast and the outer half is in front of the alcove each side of the chimney. The distance between the back of each speaker and the chimney breast is 17cm, and the distance between the back of each speaker and the alcove is 63cm.

The listening position in the middle of the sofa is 2.5m from the speakers.

It’s not a big room so there isn’t much opportunity to move things around.

@bitsrbits Just play music through it 24/7 put it on a nice jazz station not bother anyone and just let it go… Probably just needs more time. Also as others have said play around with Toe in and Out. The Focal tweeters take a long time to break in. And what are Standard Naim interconnects?
Not the stuff they throw in the box is it? Might want to consider all the cabling as components!

1 Like

The system was down for four months or so, but the change in brightness before and after was like night and day.

IME the standard lavender Naim interconnects are very good.

Roger

2 Likes

You’re right it’s not the right word… i was also searching for the right term but couldn’t find it within a few minutes so i gave up.

I did come across an interesting study on the topic:

I once heard a pair of Sopra 1 at the end of an ND555/NAC S1/NAP S1/FRAIM/SL system and there was no discernible brightness but pure musicality.

To the OP, you have a great system and I really hope that you are able to resolve this issue and begin enjoying music again :relaxed:

1 Like

Time to make a new word then!
Transattributisation.

5 Likes

We’ve been listening to a few different speakers lately and beryllium tweeters in Magico speakers really suit us. They’re in the A3s we own and the A5’s were considering. We heard some overly bright mid-to-treble sounds along the way but not from Magico. Of course manufacturers can set 'em up their own way.

On the A series they are not diamond (dust?) coated as they are on the higher-up-the-scale Magicos.

Thanks for the good wishes. I’ll start saving for the system you describe… :grinning:

Room treatment can be very effective against acoustic ‘brightness’. I have a couple of rugs on the walls :wink:

Bits

Is the Supercap in need of a service. In my experianece a Pre power supply can sound bright, a new set of caps bringing it back in line.

Or maybe it’s the recording. I have Zeps mothership and the sound quality isn’t that good.

Try listening to Machine Head – Deep Purple. Sound quality is excellent and it’s a better album than anything Zep or Rush have ever recorded. :grinning: