A bit too bright

Hi Richard -

I have all Naim PSUs. My rack is Quadraspire with toughened glass shelves (I am not allowed Fraim for aesthetic reasons). I was happy with the tonal balance of my original system on this rack, but maybe the NDS doesn’t like it? Although I thought the suspended brass sub-chassis was supposed to isolate the key circuitry?

I think it was another contributor who was using a marble slab.

I still LOVE the look of them and really wanted them but could never get them to work. They never sound right.

Shame really.

Ok thanks for clarifying.

The suspended circuit boards do some wonderful things to ameliorate microphonics but the whole box does become quite sensitive to what it’s sat upon - think along the lines of a suspended turntable such as a Sondek, which responds considerably to whatever it’s placed on. In my experience metal racks with glass shelves will often emphasise any brightness.

To that end, it’s worth checking that the metal feet are absolutely square on whatever surface they are placed upon. Naim supply wafter thin alloy shims to help here as few if any surfaces (not even glass) are absolutely perfectly flat to the tolerance they demand. Any rocking, no matter how minuscule, will impair performance.

Also check the Burndy for how it’s dressed and whether it’s nicely “relaxed”. It’s easy to get wrong and the sound then gets hardened at the top end and lacks air and “breath”.

Take each connector of the cable in each hand with the cable lopped between in front of you. gently twist the connectors with a wrist movement while gently swinging the cable. You may wish to do this alone, as you may get some odd looks…

Also check to see that the strain relief on the connectors is not done too tight or too loose. There should be a small amount of movement but not too loose.

When you connect the two ends make sure the cable is nice and relaxed as per the above and that you have “formed” it so the plugs slide in perfectly without having to put any torsional stress on any of it.

3 Likes

Oh they looked good. In truth it was the 400s and 600s that left me cold. I heard the 800s on a full 500 active system in the Naim demo room and that was impressive. Are there going to be active variants of the Focals?

2 Likes

As I’ve posted before you really, really must change your rack. The metal feet and the glass shelves are an open invitation to brightness. If the Quadraspire looks appeal you can get a bamboo SVT, otherwise Isoblue is excellent. Both are way cheaper than changing speakers. To change speakers while keeping that rack would be very foolish indeed.

3 Likes

As i’ve mentioned before OP can try as a test to place a few towels beneath the equipment and see if that changes the sound signature. According to the rationale that steel + glass is an open invitation to brightness, then the difference with towels should be drastic and immediate.

This is quite simple to test and either confirm or disconfirm.

3 Likes

I’m in the office at the moment but I’ll do some tests this evening. I’m not sure I’m quite up to HH’s previous suggestion of putting the NDS on a coffee table, as that would take me about 24 hours of re-wiring.

1 Like

Richard - thanks - I’ll try your suggestions when I get the time.

1 Like

I purchased a bamboo isolation platform and a proper glass shelf with the same bearings and cups used on a fraim from a known UK hifi accessory dealer. I wanted it for my lp12. Due to height constraints, and platform size and a dust cover that covers my entire lp12, all I could use was the glass shelf and the bearings and cups. It took the bass and musicality out of my lp12. I removed it, placed the lp12 directly on my Quadraspire Evo top shelf and the music came back. Eliminating the glass may be the key, the 300 delivery is very clean and revealing.

Scott

1 Like

Hi Simon, even in my case a door handle caused a nasty 1st reflection off a door handle ( hiding behind the wool carpet underlay) from my left channel when door is closed for listening. Everybody should try and look at what items they have on their side walls between/at ear height and tweeters. The classic old and simple mirror test is always good for locating 1st reflections remembering there are 2 from each speaker near and opposite wall :+1:t3:. Peter

4 Likes

You can also polish a coprolite!

1 Like

Also ceiling, unless very high, and floor if a hard surface

1 Like

If I remove my wedding ring there’s an uplift in sound.

14 Likes

I completely agree with HH (as per my earlier post) my money was always on your rack and the additional glass shelves. The metal feet on both the NDS and CDP555 will just emphasise that bright glass resonance. I know, I’ve tried it!

Also, do not underestimate how good the bamboo Quadraspire can be. I had one for several years and still think it gives a slightly more ‘organic’ sound than the Fraim. It just lacks a bit of clarity at the frequency extremes. Also worth double checking that everything is nice a level.

2 Likes

Just a thought, have you removed the transit screws on the NDS?

Yes :grinning:

I used a NDS when my ND555 was away for repair placed on my Quadraspire Bamboo rack with no trace of brightness whatsoever.

Where was it before you removed it?

2 Likes

But uninstalling it permanently can be detrimental to the sound of the system (via the effect on finances).

Having long hair which covers the ears abates brightness naturally. If you are follically challenged like myself, wearing a wig during listening is a prerequisite for a good listening experience👨‍🦲

5 Likes