A gaming pc for my birthday

Dont forget the gaming case, I’m using a Fractal Design Meshify C with the smoked glass lid. My next build I’ll pck toj[quote=“suzywong, post:24, topic:13985, full:true”]
The Ryzan looks like a good piece of kit. I tend to stick with what I’m used to; hence my lists.

RGB lighting is partly covered by Fatcat’s photo and a full suite of Razor mouse, mouse mat and keyboard, for that multicoloured “wave flow” lighting, but yes, he’ll need a few LED strips in the case to add to the overall effect (IiRC Corsair do a set for around £50).

And for added ambiance in the gaming room, Phillips HUE multicoloured lights with the app on the PC that changes the colour of the HUE to reflect the overall colour on the game screen - I kid you not, these things are for real…Daughter 2 has one…(et moi aussi :stuck_out_tongue: )

I did think about water cooling. Never tried it myself, I use a bl00dy great finned & fanned cooler.

Also, I do not overclock like the really serious pro gamers (hence my comments about Dons grandson not yet being a Pro).

I bet that, by now, Don is wishing the lad had asked for a PS5! :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]

At the moment i’m leaning towards advising a basic Microsoft Surface for schoolwork and a football for games …

…not sure it’s what he wants to hear :sunglasses:

Cool gaming cases are absolutely vital when building a “cool machine for a cool cat” :smiley_cat: .

the family machines used to be based on an Antec NINE Hundred, with either Thermaltake or Novatech Black 700-750 watt PSUs.

Is a 750 watt power supply enough to support the Quad SLI GPU array that you’re building for your friend

My son uses a Hyper X Elite Mechanical RGB keyboard for gaming

Also looking at your parts list, you also omitted the custom cable extensions…

my thoughts on the PC vs console debate.

A serious gamer would need a desktop, definitely a separate video/sound card. If a PC, then at least a newer I7 processor, 64g of Ram, a 500 gig SSD, a gamer’s backlit KB (like a Steelseries).
You could actually buy the parts and put it together for not that much money.
I just bought a 500 gig SSD for my NAS, for $80 cad all in, so the parts aren’t that expensive.

1 Like

Absolutely, no self respecting gamer would play on a console.

If in the US, just get an Alienware. Spend about $3K to get a good machine.

1 Like

There are reputable custom PC gaming builders in the US if you don’t want to build your own, these companies build your gaming PC to the specs you want and sometimes cost just little more than if you build one yourself:

Origin PC
MainGear
Digital Storm
Falcon Northwest ($$$$)

1 Like

@MMky
Of ourse, I agree. But if one knows a bit about computers, and putting things together, it can be done a lot cheaper.
You can pick up a used computer, and with a little research, just add the bits that you require.
But it’s definitely easier the way you’re recommending.

1 Like

@Aren
I didn’t know of them. Good sugestion.

1 Like

I know someone who bought a gaming PC from Digital Storm and they were happy with the quality.

1 Like

Don, since in you’re in the UK, perhaps give a ring to Chillblast or Overclockers (google their sites) , both look to be reputable PC builders in the UK, though I have no experience with them.

Yeah - been there, done that. But it seemed the op would be best served going down that route. And I’m not sure how much you would really save + the aggrevation… unless the kiddo wanted the parts and would build it themselves. Then the buy the parts would make sense / but for entirely different reasons than to save money.

1 Like

Crikey @Don, you’ve really opened Pandora’s box with this thread!

1 Like

Good choice, which gives him the flexibility to upgrade components (GPU, RAM) as funds permit.

I use Chillblast but specced for photo editing. Its been good and reliable
Recommended

1 Like

At least a football doesn’t have a PEGI 18 age rating, unlike Call of Duty.

1 Like