A Headphones question

I have closed, open and IEMs. All for different sorts of/places for and duration of listening. I am happy to have them all, and they all offer something different. Headphone listening really blossomed for me in the last 5 years or so, and now a significant part of my music consumption.

There is a huge headphone thread. Just shows how many options and preferences we have!

Bruce

ZMF Vérité closed
Grado RS1X open
Grado GR10 IEM
Custom JH Audio 13hv2 on the way…

2 Likes

I completely agree about the ears. The same thought was behind a question I asked a while ago on Naim’s provision or not of an external balance control on a pre-amp (of mine there is one on 32-5, 42-5 and 82, but not on 92, 112 or Nait 5i). Over the years my ears fade at different rates, so an external balance control is really useful, love Stevie xx

Thank you for the pointer, love Stevie xx

I’m currently using Meze Elites with an Atom HE as a preamp into an Auris Nirvana Mkii tube amp.

I’ve had dynamic headphones in the past, very likely to add another pair in the future but love the sound you get from planar headphones, especially with a good tube amp with NOS tubes.

3 Likes

There is one on the NAC92, and there’s also one on the NAC112 (albeit only available via the remote handset).

1 Like

Having used Grado, Stax Electrostatics, a couple of years ago I auditioned many high end headphones and settled of Sennheiser HD800Ss. Some of the high end headphones are way too heavy and eventually deliver neck ache. The Sennheisers are light, terrifically fast and rhythmic with terrific detail that makes music alive.

2 Likes

Absolutely Mike. The Sennheiser HD800Ss are now my go-to music listening headphones. I’ve also got a par of the closed back version (Sennheiser HD820), which are correspondingly great when used for recording, love Stevie xx

1 Like

I go back and forth between the Elears and Oppo PM2s for open back. Very different sound qualities. My primary closed back is also a Bluetooth/NC - the PSB M4U8s. When I bought them (and their predecessor more than a decade ago) they were the best sounding noise cancellers I could find. Now I’m kicking myself for not buying the Bathys when they were on sale.

I don’t find myself listening non-NC closed backs very often, but I have a pair of Oppo PM3s.

I have a couple in the closet as well including Sennheiser 590s - still the most comfortable phones I’ve ever worn.

1 Like

I also have a pair of Grado GS1000e headphones, but I wouldn’t dream of using them when travelling or when someone is over to visit. I hate the idea of annoying other people with my music (even though my taste is fantastic :-)). With the Grados, they leak too much sound. Maybe I’ve got the volume turned up to high :-). For travel or at work (where the are other people), I just use a pair of Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones. Don’t sound as good as the Grado’s, but they sound fine. But as a rule, I much prefer the sound of open-back headphones. Grado’s can also be serviced for a small fee. Can’t remember how much, but I had problems with mine a few years ago. They came back with not just the fault fixed, but also new pads. They were basically like-new again.

2 Likes

When I travel, I use them in the hotel room or when visiting family or friends and have some down time or prior to going to sleep. I would not break them out on a plane, train or other form of public transportation…

2 Likes

I have a pair for Sennheiser HD 820 which I like very much….running then are a Headline+Highcap.
Having read a number of posts just now I might have to audition some 800s
Listened to some Focal offerings and they were very nice but just preferred the 820s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.