A jaw dropping moment with my Fraim

Unknown I’d say. I understand why you would do this with the big transformer boxes as if you do have poor mains then they can buzz - mine only do this very rarely but it can be loud for a few minutes.

The power Burndy leads should not touch the wall if possible, so make the holes large enough for that not to happen or it will seriously degrade the quality I have found. Perhaps even consider just keeping the Pre and source in one room and the 500 in the other room as that will help cables - you could even devise a remote control extender and put the Pre in the other room too perhaps?

At this level of system if you want to do it right then try to lay it all out so that all interconnect cables are off the floor and not touching the wall. A smaller cable could be fed through the wall more freely and the speaker cables similarly. If I were going to use this approach I’d do it along these lines.

In any case, just do the best you can with however you decide to set it up with regard cable-runs.

DB.

1 Like

Thanks again DB. Yes, the thought that both boxes of the 500 could be sited on the other side of the wall had started to dawn on me in recent days too. It hadn’t been an option in my last house as I only had a cupboard in the kitchen available and that could only just accommodate the 3 x PS boxes, but the gloves are off now…

I also now have the luxury of using a seperate phase of my 3phase mains supply just dedicated to the HiFi, so it could be that transformer buzz is not an issue then. In that case all the boxes could stay in the listening room. Lots of variables here to ponder, but we’ll get there!
Kevin

…and now with glass shelves:

David from The Sound Organisation (York) bought over two glass shelves for the standard Fraim shelves I have on loan.

The attached diagram shows the Fraim stack configurations I have been considering along with relative heights for S, M and L legged Fraim shelves.

Option1 is the set up I have been running for many years and option 3 is with the two spare shelves (shown as “Space” on the diagram).

I remain mega impressed with the two extra spare shelves as, in option 3, but within my system, and after 24 hours of use and experimentation, I prefer them without the glass. This is contrary to the findings of at least two others but every system / environment is different.

I was also considering options 2 and 4 where I only change the length of my Fraim legs to increase air gaps around my kit.

But I have found that the piece of kit in my set up that benefits the most from the air gap is the Superline. So, I am almost certainly going to buy two new standard length Fraim shelves (without glass, ball bearings etc.) as per Option 2.

Any comments?

Now back to the music.

Richard

You tried and found what works best for yours system, so that is best for you - good process and decision.

DB.

1 Like

I should have said Option 3 with the two empty shelves and not Option 2 !!!

“But I have found that the piece of kit in my set up that benefits the most from the air gap is the Superline. So, I am almost certainly going to buy two new standard length Fraim shelves (without glass, ball bearings etc.) as per Option 2”

This is where I ended up:

When I get time I might write up my findings and preferences following weeks of listening and living with various configurations.

Richard

15 Likes

Very smart - I like the all-black Fraim look.

DB.

2 Likes

God that looks nice in all black. This is what i’m going for too.

1 Like

new to the world of Fraims and hoping to learn. I just bought a double stack. I was told the brains on the left and the brawn on the right since all PS and amps have the transformers on the right that keeps them as far away as possible from the sources and preamp. It looks like you have violated that rule by putting the Superline above the 500PS, and doubly violated it because you put the piece that amplifies the tiniest signals above it.

Going with basic physics (magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance) and my estimate that you are about 3 times as far away with the spacer, the magnet field from the 500PS is about 9 times weaker. If instead you put the phono on the far left of the other stack, it would be about 12 times further away than your original setup and the magnetic field 144 times weaker. This is all complicated by the fact the magnetic field strength vertically is different than the field horizontally, but further away is better.

Just for fun, try the Superline in the new empty space below the turntable and see what happens.

Hi Brucebosler,

I will try this as I am also looking to change my brawn stack by putting a further gap around the 500PS anyway.

You provide some interesting calculations in your hypothesis which I will investigate.

Although since day one with my Superline, regardless of the Fraim configuration, the best has always been keeping the Superline on a top shelf.

Thanks and all the best, :+1:

Richard

P.s. The use of the word ‘violate’ implied to me an offence was being undertaken… :grin:

Indeed that does look very good in black…

Looks superb.

point taken, but if the sound has been degraded because of your layout would this not be offensive to the audiophile Gods? :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.