A Newby to Naim and The Forum

I have CD5i as well and, also, I happen to have what is often regarded as an OPPO’s successor - Cambridge Audio CXUHD. I even compared them once (CXUD going through the DAC of my Cambridge streamer) and CD5i sounded way better; I never tried to compare again. I am sure you won’t have any regrets about your purchase. Sadly, I already had to repair my CD5i, only after 3 years, so, probably, you should be ready. And it does not like even slightly scratched CDs…

1 Like

Thanks for the info…I have been playing it virtually non stop for four days now…it has embraced every CD so far…
I can tell you it is so much of an improvement it is over my OPPO.
The details in the music, the soundstage, the depth, everything is noticeably better.
I am blown away…

5 Likes

First I’ve heard about not leaving the puck in position when not playing cd’s…
Any particular reason? I’ve had various Naim cd players over 3 decades and have always done the same without any negative effects….curious…thanks

I was alway told to leave outside the draw upside down. Apparently it’s something to do with rubber.

2 Likes

I had various Naim CD players, including CDi, CDS2, CDS3 and CDX2. It’s perfectly fine to leave the puck in all of them, when the player is not in use. You then know exactly where it is.

If you have one of the earlier players, which has little rubber rings on the bottom of the puck, you should always remove the CD before replacing the puck. This is because leaving the CD in place will squash the rubber rings, so the puck has less grip on the CDs. Without the CD, the rings don’t touch the platter so it’s fine to leave it in place.

Later pucks don’t have the little rings, so there is no need to remove the CD.

3 Likes

Welcome. My first Naim purchase was Cd5si and I said the same thing. I still have the cd player but streaming has took over. Resistance is futile.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I have a cdx2 and the puck has always stayed in the player when not in use so there it will stay

1 Like

Exactly. The best place for it.

2 Likes

Managing quite nicely here without, ta! :wink:
Only ‘streaming’ I do is on my phone, to check out whether I want to buy a CD or LP.

1 Like

What can happen in my house if the puck isn’t left in the machine.

8 Likes

Hi Glen
You have made a wise decision purchasing the CD5SI. I replaced my 20 year old Sony CD player with the Naim recently and cannot believe the difference. The best way I can describe the sound is as if all my CD’s have been beautifully remastered. Happy listening
Roy

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.