A Newby to Naim and The Forum

Hi, my name is Glen.
I am picking up my first piece of Naim hardware today!!
A CD5i CD player.
Very excited.
Would love your opinions are my decision to go with this player.
For years I have been using an OPPO BDP105 Universal player.
It is now 13 years old.
No complaints but my thoughts were it is a Jack of all trades machine and master of none.
I always thought something was lacking when playing redbook CDs which most of my discs are.
I have it mated up with a Moon 240i amp and Monitor Audio Silver 300 Series speakers.
So I decided because of its age I would sell it and my dedicated SACD and blu ray audio discs and purchase a good CD player.
After some researching I was drawn to Naim.
With the money I got from the sale of my OPPO and my discs, I had enough to by the Naim CD5i.
Thanks for any opinions on the decision I made.

11 Likes

@gkella

Good choice and welcome to the forum.

DG…

1 Like

I’m very fond of mine, it replaced my Linn Magik CD which packed in last November.

From a cosmetic point of view it sits well above my 202 preamp, I have a Stageline perched on top.

Typical Naim dynamic sound which some people may find too ‘forward’

I don’t however.

:grinning:

2 Likes

My first Naim component was a CD5 around 20 years ago.

It’s a long journey, with many different paths. Enjoy.

Andy

2 Likes

Welcome. :+1:

1 Like

Just enjoy it Glen, it’s the very best CD player Naim make currently and has given many people years of enjoyment.

.sjb

2 Likes

Welcome to the Naim madhouse Glen. Just to warn you that some folks around here will try and persuade you to dump all of your CDs and start streaming :grin: Personally I have a CD5XS and would not part with it even if you gave me a streamer for free.

1 Like

Hi gkella, and welcome. I’ve the same cd player and I’m very glad: enjoi it!

1 Like

I hope your CD5i makes you as happy as mine did several years ago!

Mark

1 Like

Please respect and abide by forum rules. No soliciting other members for wants/sales. Thanks.

I love my physical media.
Streaming is not an option.

1 Like

Welcome to Naim and indeed Naim CD Players! I started with a CD5 then added a Flatcap2, then Hi Cap before moving to a CDS3 XPS then XPS DR and finally CDPS555 which I am blown away with. I had the CD5 for about 15 years, never faulted and always loved the same compared to other players of a similar price, never clinical and very musical, the Naim sound. Always love the manual pull door, just adds to the experience, enjoy. Before I forget, if this player comes with a magnetic puck, make sure you do not leave in the player on its base when not in use.

1 Like

Welcome aboard :slightly_smiling_face:

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the CD5i. I’ve never heard one but heard lots of good things about it. Enjoy!

1 Like

I have spent a total of six hours with it so far.
I am very pleased to say the least.
I have been trying out different genres of music on it.
Great separation of instruments and a depth to the music, almost three dimensional.
Very strong in the mid range.
Bass and treble are far from extreme.

2 Likes

Congrats!!! I saw your both videos now :blush:. Enjoy your new music making machine.

1 Like

Always wondered about this: I tend to put the puck to one side rather than in situ - but I don’t know if there’s any/no harm in leaving it in place sans disk.

So far I have left a disc in place with the puck.
Mostly because I would know where it was…lol
Maybe I should take it out to be safe…

I’ve really no idea, (tend not to leave CD’s in after playing) so I err on the cautious side.

Talking of CD players - I must bring my CD2 out of hibernation again, to see if I can finally decide between that and the 5X!

2 Likes

Welcome to boogie land. Great choice.

1 Like

It’s not that long ago that I dipped my toes tentatively into the Naim world. I used to have a Linn Karik, which I loved. The CD5Si was to go along with the Naim ND5XS2 streamer. They make a really good pair. Like everyone else here, great choice and welcome.

1 Like