A recent video of a Naim factory tour

Why not live streaming tour by invite of course, will never be the same as being there and no ability to appreciate the beastly systems.

I think must of us get goosebumps and bunny boiler syndrome listening to Jason and other.

In that case you’d positively explode if he visited your house and changed your bass units in the sitting room. Jason’s a lovely bloke.

2 Likes

The Din plug explanation was very clear and easy to understand but it’s a huge pity theyre not on other Japanese CDP like yamaha and marantz, denon et al. Thinking it’s much cheaper to use and design for than 2 balanced cables as well. Shake shake those cables baby!

Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It’s interesting, but I do wish when a presenter is pointing at and describing something of interest, the guy operating the camera could focus on that rather than the presenter fellow. Show us what it is please.

Reminded me very much of my days working in a similar environment at Marconi 30-odd years ago. Happy days indeed.

1 Like

Agree, I suspect these people are journalists so maybe have other ideas on what they are videoing.
Also I suspect this clip was just what they thought most interesting as this is about 1% of what you get to see.

I love my Naim and how proud Naim is of its products and engineering behind. But I don’t really like the video I am afraid.

I wanted so much to see the wonderful factory, the facilities, equipments, components and people who created these amazing machines. But it felt more like a lecture (with some good info) and showcasing several machines like the pcb turntable, cable shaking machine and vacuum machine. Cable shaking occupied almost 15% of the video. I find it a little cringe worthy, feeling sorry for those working close by because it is so noisy! Initial shot of soldering the board actually covered up what the person is doing. Can really use better camera work. Likewise, last shot of the boards at 14:00 didn’t convey any purpose.

I wish there are some clips of assembly, testing, soldering, circuit design, sound or oscilloscope test and even software development. Instead of an largely empty factory, I wish they show off the amazing workforce and more clips like the one of the gentleman who tests all the transistors and filters out the bad ones. I won’t even mind seeing the kitchen area!

Anyway, thanks and really appreciate seeing the place that gave birth to my Naim and its siblings. Thank you.

3 Likes

Here you go, it hasn’t changed that much. Those trolleys are still in use today!
6m 29secs - still works at Naim.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the video Robert.

1 Like

The Statement circuit breaker.

Interesting. Presumably no need for a fuse? :thinking:

Great video. Maybe it’s time for an update from Naim :slightly_smiling_face:.

The narrator sounds like Paul Vaughan, who used to narrate the Horizon documentaries for the BBC.

Planning to visit sometime in the future as I made a visit many many years ago on a weekend i think, great memories and nostalgia. Of course we got stuck in Bath, as normal, and arrived late to find the group already being shown around. Bummer we thought, then this guy opened a side door and waved us in to give a more or less one to one tour. My wife and I will not forget the experience. Isobariks and 6 135s SBLs with 4 135s

8 Likes

Ha! I was ridiculed on the old forum for stating the RCA plugs were designed for DC (originally to connect an add on RCA turntable to a RCA wireless - both had their own amps and speakers in the late 30s) and it seems Naim agree with me in this video. It is for DC.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you robert_h for sharing the video. I have watched it before and now watched it again with as much joy as I did before. Thumbs up!

1 Like

This factory tour is not too shabby too despite no audio narration. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been through the design, prototyping and manufacture of a few low-volume audio devices in the past (under 1000 units), gone through EMC testing for CE/UL and then redeveloped the product for lead-free solder. Given the amount of electronic design, ongoing software development across various platforms and handeld device apps, manual labour and testing that goes into these products, it actually makes Naim equipment pretty good value, especially when building in a dealer margin.

2 Likes

Someday I want to remake this film… an updated version with the same feel.

2 Likes

Which bit of Marconi?

Great video. Thanks for posting. I see there’s now an LP12 in the demonstration room. I wonder if that was as a result of @Richard.Dane’s influence?

Nothing to do with me Clive. Naim have always had a number of turntables (Armageddon LP12s) around the factory for testing and demo. They’re needed to test and demo phono stages. I guess this one was brought out to demo the new Supernait3 and NAIT XS3 with their internal phono stages.

1 Like