A streamer puzzle

Got it! So, I’ll cancel a taxi :slight_smile:

Understood. Looks like the streaming preamp NAC-N 272 is good enough to be connected to NAP 200. Indeed, such setup will cost me an arm and a leg :slight_smile:

And that’s why I think an Atom might be just what you’re looking for :slight_smile:
Sure a ND5 XS2 with the Nait 5si gives more upgrade option in future but as ever with Naim those upgrades aren’t cheap!

As I’ve already invested in Spendor 3/5 this makes me think I should take more upgradable path. I like this sound very much and I like Naim :slight_smile:

I would be tempted in your situation to aim for nait xs plus the Cambridge streamer. The xs is a more capable amp, ideal would be a great condition xs2. The Cambridge, as mentioned, is a good streamer and will handle whatever source (local or subscription) you fancy.

1 Like

Well if you like the Naim sound and want an upgrade path hold out a bit longer for a ND5 XS2. I don’t think it would make much sense to spend on interim solutions. Chances are though that you’ll probably want an amp upgrade later to go with it.

1 Like

The 272 uses the old streaming platform which has a number of functional limitations discussed on several threads. But many here still use it happily as did I until about 18 months ago. If you could live with its limitations, you could probably manage with an ND5XS which uses the same platform rather than ND5XS2 at a much higher price … and save enough to keep those Longines!

Roger

1 Like

It is, in fact, possible to do this as there is an optional digital volume control on the ND5XS2, so you can connect it directly to a power amp. This is not the way Naim intend it to be used, but it works, and if you have no other need for a separate preamp it could be a cost effective way to add a superior power amp to your system.
Would the sound better with its matching preamp? Yes, almost certainly. Is is cost effective to add an extra box or two and more than double the cost of the amp, pushing its price above that of the 250DR? That’s for your own ears to judge.

1 Like

Ok, got it. Looks like it is a bit premature for me to plan such upgrade. I need first to make a final decision and have some audition for that.

You really should audition the Atom.

I’ve had its predecessor, the UnitiQute2, for about 7 years now and it sounds as great as it did when I brought it home!

Unfortunately, I’ve already bought the only available Naim device - 5si amp. I had about five or seven auditios. However, due to brexit there is no much chance to have an audition of another device.
So, I’m looking forward to accepts some risks and buy one more Naim without any audition.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.