A thread for thoughts and experiences: Mechanical Watches

I wouldn’t measure the accuracy of a mechanical watch too closely, it will drive you around the bend. There are many variables going on (temp, watch orientation, fully wound, etc…). You should manually wind a watch every now and then anyway, as that’s part of the mechanism that needs lubricating too.

1 Like

Yes, when they race away so fast, that’s a sure sign that they have become magnetised. I’m glad your latest Tissot has recovered.

1 Like

My wife bought me a Hermes for an anniversary many years ago. Looks great. Low profile, not mechanical looking. But considering the cost it had a serious flaw. The automatic wind from wearing all day, wouldn’t quite get it through a nights sleep on the bedside table. So every morning, I’d have wave it about for a few mins to get it moving and set the time and date again.

I can’t tell Mrs. FZ that though. So fell back on the “It’s too nice to wear” rationale. By far the nicest looking watch I’ve ever seen so the flaw is very frustrating.

I don’t, but every time I do check it against a reference it seems improbably close. Last time was nearly three weeks ago and it was 6 seconds slow, just checked it right now and it was 1 second fast.

I have no doubt that its accuracy varies throughout the 24 hour cycle, but it dumbfounds me how well it does.

Some automatics need sufficient vigorous activity in the day to wind, walking and swinging your arms for example. Driving to work followed by office work might not be enough.

That’s a shame for an anniversary watch. I prefer a hand-winder, but you can’t always choose. You could try an automatic watch winder box?

That sounds like more of a fault than a feature. Do you know how long the power reserve is meant to be? It may be worth getting it looked at. I’d expect most automatics to run for a day or so between winding.

I wouldn’t be doing any of that myself. Unless you are happy that you may break it and just want to tinker. I’d try to find a friendly watch repair place.

I’ve got a range of mechanical watches. Some manual, some automatic, some with expensive movements and some with cheaper ones. None of them are particularly accurate but then I don’t wear them regularly. I tend to wear one for a few days and then swap to another.

2 Likes

When I visited Hermes they seemed to think this was expected and their view of automatics was more in line with “mens wardrobe” where you have a drawer of 20 watches and pick the right one for your attire. Many of which wouldn’t get worn between 2 year battery changes but an automatic is always ready to go. Jewelry basically.

Sadly I’m more of a jeans and plaid shirt all day every day type. Mrs.FZ is the stylish one. I just embarrass her when we leave the home. I bring out that watch now as directed; for rare suitable attire occasions when a Fitbit is just a strict no-no.

1 Like

Broadly my view. I wear my Sinn most workdays. Panerai at weekends. JLC for posh nights out. Jewellery as you say.

What I don’t have is a fancy watch winder to keep my automatics going between wears. But it only takes a few moments to set them and have have two manual watches so I’d been setting something anyway.

1 Like

I have 2 not overly expensive mechanical watches. Mainly because like the others here I love the mechanical aspect of it and no need for changing batteries. Usually they show about the right time,give or take a minute of 2 or 3. Which is fine with me. I am a firm supporter of the saying,“If you want to know the exact time with an accuracy of 1 second you do not need a watch,you need therapy!”… :wink: :grin:

4 Likes

I have a Christopher Ward watch, mainly for dress, which I love. I just love the intricate nature of mechanical watches. I had about three or four a few years ago, but changing circumstances meant they were sold off. I’ve never really been interested in the high end too much once I realised all the machinists pretty much come from the same place. My daily watch is an Apple Watch, mainly for when I go running, but I’ll never be without my mechanical one.

Apparently it’s better for watches to be on a winder, rather than being allowed to run right down. I have two Wolf Cub winders that work really well, and in the scheme of things aren’t desperately expensive.

I would assume that would depends on a few factors, like how often you wear it. Running down might be better than a year on the winder. And a winder won’t do much for a hand wound calibre.

It would be interesting if someone published some study on this, although I guess the numbers might be different for different calibres.

What’s supposedly not good for an automatic calibre is hand winding. So I do wonder if that’s also a factor in the advice you got.

Personally I don’t own a winder. The watches I’m not wearing are simply “resting”. And when I change to an automatic I don’t wind it, I simply put it on and remember to set the time a bit later.

If you want to set it immediately, just hold it face up and move it in horizontal circles to wind via the automatic mechanism. Or if you do use the crown, just give it a couple of turns only.

1 Like

Yes, I was advised not to manually wind my new one.

Discussions about winders yea or nay is as old as the things themselves without a clear outcome. Same for manual winding automatics. The normal lifespan of a decent mechanical watch is about a lifetime so I tend not to worry too much about these things.

3 Likes

I’m with you on that. I manually wind automatics, don’t use a winding machine and let watches run down. Any significant wear I would expect it to be addressed at the next service. To date, I have only had to replace a worn counter hand on a Seamster Chronograph, the first time it was serviced after more than 15 years in use. In reality, I think they messed it up during the service because it didn’t go back to 12:00 after the service and when I took it back, they told me it was “worn” (but never noticed when servicing…).

Does any one know a good place to get watch parts from? I am in need of a winder stem and crown, probably a generic part.

Cousins UK sell everything. Branded and unbranded. It is worth looking for pictures / video on your specific watch though as some watches are difficult to disassemble without breaking or reassemble again. For the named brands, Omega etc, I’'d probably take it to a watch repairer.

Indeed, its not a posh watch.

I’ll try anything once!

1 Like

That’s good! If it has sentimental value, then I’d still take it to a repairer though. But we bodgers can learn about watches by getting a few from Ebay and crawling round the floor looking for that part!

1 Like

That seems sensible. Certainly winding my chronograph feels like I’m forcing something. I tend to gently shake them to spin the rotor and wake them up. Then rely on wear to fully wind them.

1 Like