A Year of the New Classic range

Yes, I can’t speak for how it is these days, but in the past Naim have always been known for extremely high build quality and reliability.

Okay, did you go for 2016 NDX2/252/SCDR then?

1 Like

The New Classic range looks like its aimed at a slightly higher price segment than the Classic. Your right that just increasing prices won’t improve SQ but you have to trust that Naim know what they are doing. From Naim owner reviews Naim seem to have come up with new boxes that can survive at increased prices because they set a new standard for quality.

Great thing about Naim is that the Classic range will still be available “pre-owned” for many, many years with it’s old upgrade path to work your way through.

No, I didn’t in the end, but for other reasons, sound and quality wise, it would have been a really good buy :innocent:

I would guess that a number of 272 owners made the jump to 222 as an easy way to get the capabilities that the 272 lacked in terms of connectivity - who really liked the BubbleUPNP workarounds for example? Not that the 272 was a lovely bit of kit. I am guessing there are some great value systems to be had and once on that ladder there is usually only one way to go.

Agree that listening pleasure has only improved. Just listening to Johnny Marr and the detail draws you in, the soundscape feels like one of those fractals - focus in and more details leap out.

1 Like

Oddly enough, a home demo would be an option even in Northern California. You just have to find the Naim retailer that’s willing to travel half the length of California to serve you.

Well, you’re less than an hour away from perhaps the largest NAIM dealer in the US - Basil Audio. Now big doesn’t necessarily mean good but I’ve had good luck with them for a couple of items. Have you contacted them for a home demo unit?

I see you’re the opposite side of the country, which makes me wonder if you bought these items mail order, which might explain why you had a happier experience than I did.

Thanks for the tip about looking at other local dealers. My long-term dealer who recently passed away did not have a brick and mortar shop, and last time I checked with the San Francisco dealer this wasn’t an option but that was well over a decade ago. I’ll look more into this when the time comes. I appreciate the advice!

One year in I’ve just seen a trade in NC 222 & 250 available at a dealer for £3649 and the same ex demo at the same dealer for £4499. Kinda makes me wish I’d waited now - don’t think I’ll be buying new again.

Yes, if you want to be the first with the latest…:man_shrugging:

1 Like

The ex-demo offers are not really that unusual and will maybe tempt someone wavering about the investment and once hooked - the rest is history, as many of the forum contributors can probably testify.

For used systems to be coming on stream now, I am guessing someone listened to the NC3xx boxes and was willing to take the hit in the wallet.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I assume, though the dealer in question has had the trade in boxes for some time now - I can’t understand why they have not been snapped up.

I guess this is also, in some part, a result of Naim keeping their cards close to their chest with new products. I’d be interested in something like a 300 level integrated, but who knows if it’s coming. I wouldn’t move on a system change now until all of the new product has been revealed.

Are you sure there is more to be revealed in the near term?

My dealer thinks not. He said they had advance notice of the 200 and 300 series but there is nothing currently incoming. But I guess that could just be sales talk.

Well, who knows. Seems very unlikely to me though that there is not a Supernait replacement coming at some point.

1 Like

How did you sort the transformer noise - I have the same problem?

My involvement was minimal I returned nap and psu to Naim via my dealer and they sorted it. That said I had over supply of voltage (248-252) so Naim suggested I get a step down voltage device which I did. Not sure this does anything if I’m absolutely honest but take some comfort it will pay for itself over the next few years. Good luck.

That’s unfortunate as you were only 1 volt short of the 253V limit, above which the grid are legally required to reduce it. Maybe worth getting a second opinion from someone who can measure it see if they can catch it at 254.

1 Like

Indeed Sottish Power appear savvy and work within tolerances: I’ve been monitoring for last 9 months or so and it’s not exceeded limits to my knowledge. IMHO some toroidal transformers are quieter than others….

I just bought the trade in 250 and the ex dem 222 from that dealer. Delighted with both the kit and the saving, even if a bit of a long drive.

My move was from a nDAC/252/SCDR/300 via a decade with a Devialet 250. Delighted with the sound, look and versatility of NC…. And saving for a 300.

4 Likes