Aaargh! ........ network problems

Well that was probably the problem… standing unpowered for that long isn’t good for electronic devices (particularly electrolytic capacitors).

Well, following the network shenanigans of the last few days, I decided it would be a good idea to strip everything down for a cleaning session, you know, dust, spiders’ webs and general grubbiness.

It was all going fine until I came to remove the NAP 500 from its lower shelf.

Blimey, that thing’s heavy, so I had to just leave it in place and clean round it … respect to Pete from Acoustica who simply inserted onto the shelf on installation day. :astonished:

Anyone got a top tip for lifting a 25 Kg amp with limited fingertip access underneath? :man_shrugging:

Easy, ask Pete from Acoustica to do it for you?

1 Like

Yep for me it will be a dealer job or 2 man job…i guess the clue for me was that it was in the box with the easy carrying handles…it was the only one that Andy from Signals let me carry into the house.

1 Like

If the AE is used wirelessly, you would configure it differently (using Airport Utility) to if it was wired back to the Extreme, so I wonder if that is what’s causing your problems? Also, handover of client devices from one Airport base station to another is not always as slick as it could be, which may not help.

Hi Chris,

Here’s a couple of screenshots, illustrating the current setup.

The first one shows the Express connecting wirelessly with the Extreme, which is hooked into the TalkTalk router.

The other shows the wireless settings on the Express.

The only change from previously is that the Express is no longer hooked into the Cisco, along with the streamer and server, but it seems to be acting fine in extending my wifi into the music room.

I’m still baffled as to why the old setup, which was solid for years, should suddenly throw a wobbler upon my return home.

Still, the music has been restored, so all’s well, Chez Dave.

From memory, that looks correct for your current setup. With your previous setup, assuming that the switch is wired back to the AE, you would have the Express set to ‘Create a network’ not ‘Extend’. Maybe that’s why it wasn’t working before, but is working now?

IMO, This isn’t right, there is no need to wirelessly extend a network unless there is no other option, it’s the worst performance choice. In your scenario to achieve what you want only one Apple box is required and should be connected by wire to the Cisco. The simplest is the airport express with create a wireless option and you may as well keep the same WiFi name as the main router?

This is all assuming I haven’t completed misunderstood what you are trying to achieve…

Surprisingly, is Apple AE still being used?

Yes…

You need 4 blocks of wood, all of the same thickness, about 25mm to 50mm.

Place 2 block under the rear corners and two under the front corners, leaving enough clear for your hands between them.
Move the amp forward until it rests on the front blocks only.
Put one hand on the rear corner and one a little way behind the front corner, bring the amp as far forward as possible (this will require that the amp is ‘turned’ towards you, no longer ‘square’ in the rack).
Keep hold of the front corner and reposition the rear hand just in front of the pillar of the rack.
Lift the beast out.

Reinstallation can be done by reversing this method.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.