ABBA - new album!

Mike,

By ‘unique and innovative’ I was referring entirely to the forthcoming live experience, certainly not to the new music they are releasing which took me right back to 1978. I have to say though it’s the fact that the new music is entirely rooted in their late 70’s heyday that is precisely why I like it so much!!

As to your reference to one of them having financial problems and another having health problems I certainly had no idea about any of that. It’s hard to believe that any member of ABBA could possibly have financial problems given they are probably the second or third most successful artists in history (unless they have been snorting galactic quantities of stuff up their nose for decades!!!) My impression with 400m records sold and 19 top 10 singles is that all of them are rich beyond the bounds of imagination!!

I’m genuinely interested to read of your disappointing live experience with them. Sadly I never had the pleasure of experiencing Agnetha in full bloom on stage! I’ve seen most of the Abba cover bands on the circuit down the years but my reading of it is that they are clearly throwing enough money and ILM expertise at it that this show should be quite a revolutionary and involving experience. Probably the best show (and certainly the most moving) I have ever seen ‘live’ was the Beatles ‘Love’ in Las Vegas. I’ve utterly loved and worshipped the Beatles for all of my life and to hear and see that incredibly spectacular Cirque show with the Beatles transcendent music in a purpose designed theatre with probably the best sonics (6351 speakers servicing 2013 seats in a purpose built $100m auditorium) I have ever heard in my life left me quite literally tearful for whole chunks of it. I found the experience emotionally overwhelming frankly!!! There wasn’t a single Beatle on stage, no visible band but the music moved me more than any ‘live’ band show I have ever seen (although I will grant you Floyd at Maine Road Manchester in 87 came bloody close).

Maybe I’m not discerning enough, maybe cheese is my middle name but to me hearing the new songs was a glorious experience (and I played them several times on my main system tonight). I enjoyed hearing those girls singing so beautifully again and hearing what I perceive as exceptionally gifted songwriting. I enjoyed too the nostaligic and mature lyrics, the themes of a life well lived and ancient friendships/lovers reflected upon, maybe I’m just a soppy old sod but it works for me! I bounced the tracks to a couple of old comrades and they felt the same - staggered that they’ve still ‘got it’.

Each to their own though but to me there’s nothing here that diminishes the incredible legacy of ABBA. The world is in a right old mess just now and frankly hearing some new ABBA last night on a good system took me back to a happier, kinder, gentler, warmer, sunnier era and made me feel skipping in the street happy! My teen daughter is currently regularly assaulting my ears with discordant, ugly, malevolent, foul lyrics in rap music full of references to drugs, ghettos, gun crime, abuse, violence and racism. Aside from the fact that I find the bulk of it as musically boring and simplistic as a box of kleenex I loathe the negativity of it and truly fear for the mental state of the young people listening to it. Abba by contrast on record, live or by Avatar is a model of decency and positivity and happiness! So yes I’ve already ordered the record and I and a bunch of old mates will certainly be lapping up the show!

Jonathan

PS I’m not easily impressed either - as a lifelong ELO fan I paid £450 for 3x tickets to see Jeff Lynne’s ELO in Birmingham a couple of years back and came away feeling hugely disappointed!! Only one member of the original band on stage (Jeff), zero audience interaction, no improvisation - every song just an exact reproduction of the original records played live. Frankly I came away resenting Jeff for not bothering to involve any other members of the band (many of whom unlike him actually do need the money!)

4 Likes

So to be clear, people are absolutely opposed to discussion and differing views on a discussion forum.

And no @anon39880737 I have not critiqued grammar. I have merely pointed out the ludicrousness of your assertion I was arguing something at unnecessary length given the length of post I was commenting on. I do apologise. My sub-editor is on holiday. If you’d care to expand your role of forum administration I’m sure we can agree appropriate remuneration.

Nothing to add to my original response.

2 Likes

No, apologies for that, I meant it more lightheartedly - I thought I’d included a silly Emoji after the sentence but didn’t it seems.

I’ll reserve judgement until I listen to the new stuff, it will be hard for them to match some of their decades old classics, though I can remember quite a few duff non-single songs on some of the early LPs.

1 Like

Actually Mike I’m in no way opposed to your posts or opposing views. Music is always a subjective and individual choice, I’m enjoying the new Abba release, you’re not - each opinion is equally valid.

As for unique and innovative - I think that point still stands, no band has done anything like this before (built a purpose designed venue, engaged ILM to create their avatar likeness and sold tickets to a ‘gig’). You and others may not like it but I do think it’s pretty radical. The question is with many of the greatest rock stars in history either dead (Mercury, Hutchence, Lennon, Morrison) or at the very least very old (McCartney, Jagger, Dylan) do we just accept the fact that future generations will never see them perform live except on Bluray or via a cover band? Or is what Abba are doing with a live experience harnessing the power of technology to try to provide something better and more engaging than mere video?

Genuinely interested in views…

Jonathan

1 Like

Yes we do have to accept that human beings grow old and die, replacing them with computer generated replica’s feeds me with Dread as already opined. I would say that with the quality of today’s HiFi and Cinema technology younger people can still see and hear those bands performing as they did not as a soulless electronic re-creation without spontaneity audience interaction, involvement etc and its impossible to heckle a hologram :joy:

I dont believe ABBA are doing anything particularly innovative here either, ok building a purpose built venue may be a good thing longer term depending in what it ends up being used for. As for the CGI stuff, that’s been around for years now, their utilising an existing technology and there have already been this type of GGI show, wasnt there a CGI Elvis?
:heart:

I’m a fence tenant when it comes to Abba. A handful of songs back on the day were masterpieces. DQ is without doubt to me the best pop song ever written. Note I said pop.
TWTIA lyrically is stunning and KMKY makes me laugh because it reminds me of the Vicar of Dibley.
Regarding the two new songs, the first is really a Benny and Bjorn West End ballad, suitable for stage, not Abba.
The second starts in the same vein, very Greatest Showman stuff but it does reroute towards the more recognisable Abba pop we all remember.
Like everything, if it floats your boat, then buy it and go enjoy the show. If not, don’t.
At their age however, expect more Portaloo than Waterloo.

To quote Terrance Stamp. “No more ******* ABBA”. Enough said I am not a fan.

:joy::rofl:

Wholeheartedly agree Jonathan. We have wildly different opinions and I’ve no issue with that and wouldn’t wish to fall out over it. You expressed your view. I posted an opposing view. End of. For the sake of their credibility I would want any ABBA return to not tarnish the memory in any way. My view remains that the songs so far are bang average; a facsimile of ABBA and there is no innovation. We disagree. Life goes on.

I found the reaction of @anon39880737 inexplicable really and far more objectionable. Person expounds their opinion at length. Person disagrees at length but you only select the poster of the latter to have a pop at.

Friend of mine who runs large venues in Manchester and Liverpool just talked me through the economics of the venue build and how the idea it could not be hosted elsewhere is a nonsense. It’s simply an add on to the brand. She them described it as like watching the EA Sports version of ABBA :joy:

Has this return been timed for the Christmas market, I wonder ?

I think they hinted in one of their interviews that they will release a Christmas single but my understanding is the first concerts won’t be until April 2022.

I’m under no illusions that Abba plan to earn a lot of money from this, and they undoubtedly will! On the other hand I hope/believe they are rich enough to be doing it for the right reasons i.e. because they enjoy it and feel they can add something worthwhile to their legacy. Time will tell - Mike may be right and it may prove a fruitless cash-in, I’m hoping for more.

I’m currently even more excited by the return of Del Amitri who really are my favourite band (along with the Beatles). Their new album is a fine body of work, they’re touring in the Autumn and are a superb live band fond of improvisation and with plenty of audience interaction. Those interested can see Sky Arts tonight at 9pm when the behind the scenes documentary “You can’t go back” on the making of their latest album will be premiered.

Jonathan

1 Like

Thanks Mike - absolutely no falling out at all. Interesting what your friend said about the fact they could tour the show if they wanted to. I simply have no idea of the technology involved so cannot comment and for sure your friend would know far more about that than I would!

I fully agree with your sentiment about not wishing their memory to be tarnished, I just hope that they’ve the good sense not to ever do that but time will indeed tell!

Jonathan

There are always different views and always common ground. I’m no fan of Del Amitri. I recall they had a nice run of successful singles but was never inclined to purchase an album. However, read so,e positive reviews of their return agd have it a try on Qobuz. Pleasantly surprised. Not outstanding but I’ve heard far worse comebacks.

1 Like

Sorry. Only just seen. Interpretation is a bugger on the internet.

1 Like

I’ve always had a soft spot for Abba in particular Ani-Frid, my first crush. I bought “Arrival” when it was released. Other than that though I only own the greatest hits packages.
I can always listen to Abba but rarely do so through the main HiFi.
I listened to the new tracks and am underwhelmed to say the least.

Curious what you Abba fans think of this remake of “SOS” by Portishead?

This track came available exclusively on Soundcloud a couple months ago. I went back and listened to the original ABBA version and it is creepy. I think this Portishead version does a better job of conveying emotions for this song.

1 Like

Interesting that somebody on another forum posted some net worth figures and to be honest they exceeded even my expectations:

Bjorn: £300 000 000
Benny: £179 000 000
Frida: £216 000 000
Agnetha: £144 000 000

If those figures are even remotely accurate I deduce two things - first I am a lot poorer than I thought! Second I don’t think they are in it for the money!

Finally they could have just done this and played their old back catalogue which is what a lot of groups do nowadays, however they had the integrity and passion to want to create new music which should be applauded. Quite frankly there’s a fair bit of dross on their earlier albums and the quality of those is at times uneven, although there’s no disputing there’s plenty of masterpieces in there to offset that.

One thing that did surprise me was the huge gulf between Benny and Bjorn - I’d always assumed they split their songwriting royalties but maybe one has been a more canny investor than the other. I have no knowledge of the accuracy of these figures.

Jonathan

1 Like

On the other hand if, say, you were used to being a billionaire and now down to a mere 144 million, you might be starting to panic!

1 Like

Frida has married into the Norwegian Royal Family so you can up her figure.

1 Like

Agnatha is the one quietly in financial bother. Worth reading further then forums.