About to tear down and rebuild system

I vaguely remember that applying deoxidizers or anything for that matter to metal connectors was not recommended. Not sure though

1 Like

I try to clean all my connectors at least once a year. I have never had a problem with the Deoxit products and find it worth while, just to get that extra bit of detail out of my system.

Would a wall shelf or similar for the LP12 be an option??

1 Like

With the current rack set up I would add a turntable shelf and consider bringing the Lingo 4 to the rack.

Left LP12 Right

Left
NDS

Right
Lingo
XPS2
52PS

The burndy for NDS is quite long so you want them to the side really. Power supplies lower down or on separate rack.

Or move a 135 to top right shelf and no turntable shelf and Lingo where it is.

2 Likes

With the current rack set up I would add a turntable shelf and consider bringing the Lingo 4 to the rack.

Left
LP 12 Shelf

NDS

Right
Lingo
XPS2
52PS

The burndy for NDS is quite long so you want them to the side really. Power supplies lower down or on separate rack.

Or move a 135 to top right shelf and no turntable shelf and Lingo where it is.

The TT needs to be above the pre as the Prefix cable loses half its length within the plinth. Mr Cymbiosis kindly explained how I can increase this by about 7cm but itā€™s just not enough.

In any case, no TT shelf is possible , the cabin wall logs are only tongue and groove so they twist if any load applied. I did actually try my old target shelf (Pre prefix) but it was laughable, imagine the wobbliest wall shelf ever :joy:. I sold it for a 99p bid on eBay 10yrs ago. Wouldnā€™t happen now would it. I also tried using my Lack table but it sounded awful. The Besta unit to the left might have been an option if I had a longer phono cable (this is where the XPS2 is temporarily. Bit of a stretch for the Burndy but managed it). Top of the rack is the only option right now. It might benefit from a Trampolin2 in this position but Iā€™ve never really had the inclination to try. My local dealer (Trevor) feels anything below the ā€œWater lineā€ has marginal effect.

A before picture might help in this thread. Iā€™ve posted it before but any excuse :slightly_smiling_face: (The L4 is actually on its own mini rack now, a lump of garden sleeper that just happened to be the right size :grinning:). The Aiwa and Walkman have now sadly been moved on as they were a lockdown project and I had my fun with them. Needed to liquidise the assets:

If Grahams havenā€™t contacted you Iā€™d give them a call. When I got my last Hydra I waited a while for them to respond to the email. When I rang they mentioned seeing my email but hadnā€™t done anything with it. Once you make contact itā€™s great service.

I have a similar systems to you and have the following setup. Keeping the power supplies away from units

Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 11.42.53

2 Likes

Well if they are ignoring online contact they should remove the facility from their website and make the item available for online ordering. I think Iā€™ll pass on this one. Actually, if I can be bothered I might give them a kick up the backside tomorrow (online) and see if that gets a reaction. Iā€™m sure they are lovely folks but this sort of thing gets up my nose.

To be fair I think they were pretty busy. And the service was great once I made contact.

I have found Grahams consistently great over 30 years, but immediate urgency is perhaps not their strong point.

2 Likes

A very diplomatic statement. :joy:. Ive decided to leave them be.

1 Like

My NDS just turned up but it feels icy cold after being with DPD for 3 days so Iā€™m going to let it acclimatise overnight before trying it out. That leaves me tonight to listen more to the NDX/XPS2 so I can get a good comparison when I swap in the NDS.

Iā€™m not sure what to expect from the NDS as Iā€™ve never actually heard one, only people raving about them. The NDX/XPS2 is sounding pretty special right now, a significant improvement over the bare NDX but not big enough for me to stop there.

However, If the difference between the two is as generally described I.e. ā€œmassive improvementā€ then I canā€™t imagine right now what that will mean.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find it rather good Paul.

I suppose the other advantage with the NDS is that in the future, you could always add a 555PS and unleash its full dual Burndy potential.

Have fun :+1:

Well I was never going to wait till tomorrow was I? :joy:

For a stress free install:
Step 1: Powered everything down and removed the NDX.
Step 2: Remove NDS transit screws
Step 3: plug in NDS shorting plug
Step 4: when using the XPS use the SXPS Burndy that came with it :+1:. The 2 that come with the NDS are for the CD555PS only
Step 5: Relax the Burndy
Step 6: Connect interconnect and network

Takes about 10mins for the NDS to warm up then you start to get the effect. This bit might need a different thread if thereā€™s interest in a direct comparison between the NDX, NDX/XPS2 and NDS/XPS2 within the same system. Albums listened to so far: Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen (Acoustic), Clannad - Anam and Kate Bush - 50 Words for snow, Paul Weller - True meanings.

Iā€™ve managed to slot a lack table in the corner to take the XPS temporarily while waiting for the new Podium. Looks kind of cool. Iā€™m thinking that Iā€™ll stick with this stack order as it allows both the 52 Burndy and XPS Burndy to hang loose without touching anything. Moving the XPS to the right has really allowed the Burndy to relax and the sound is all there. You might almost believe that the gap between the upper 135 and Lack was pre planned :sunglasses:

Hereā€™s a pic:

8 Likes

why, yes!

(I wouldnā€™t have been able to wait until the next day, either!)

1 Like

A rather clever solution!

Iā€™m not sure where I would place it in terms of philosophical or artistic movements but it does have a certain aesthetic something to it. :thinking:

1 Like

New rack turned up today. Nice one HiFiRacks for getting it to me before Xmas.

Final stack as follows (taller shelves for 52 and NDS):

Left rack
52PS

Right rack
NDS
XPS

4 Likes

Hi @Paul52135,

I think the final set up looks great.

Iā€™ve played around with stacking orders on many occasions with my set ups. Itā€™s a mixture of trying to keep the power supplies away from the more sensitive signal paths carried by the preamp and sources AND aesthetics.

I would try

Left rack
NDS

Right rack
XPS2
52PS

This way you have your brains stack with preamp and nds, with 135 at bottom.
Then the brawn stack follows a horizontal line of olive, classic, olive.

With power supplies kept separate and on the right, it should sound better with my suggested set up.

2 Likes

Agreed with Dan but on the right stack, to maximize flowing of Burndies, I would swap the 135 and 52PS, with the 52PS on top and the 135 on bottom.

2 Likes