Accuraterip

A few months ago I had a question about Uniti Star and gaps in ripped Cd’s I decided not to get one, and the Core is expensive as I haven’t got thousands of cds to rip. When I finshed ripping the core would just sit the holding a USB drive. I bought an atom, which sound great. When I rip using accurate rip to flac all the metadata and album cover is visible in the Atom screen, but when I rip to a wav file the metadata isn’t complete, and no albun cover. Can anyone solve this for me? I slightly prefer the sound of wav files

Thanks, Peter

Wav files don’t hold metadata or cover art, so using flac is best.
The way around that would be to use appropriate upnp software which can pick up eg folder.jpg as cover art, and store its own db of meta data. Such as jriver media center. However jmc can also serve wav on the fly converting from a flac, so you don’t need to rip in wav.

that seems to cover it, thank you, maybe I will just stick to flac, I was happy enough before I heard wav

Does your last comment mean you could or couldn’t hear a difference? In many machines flac and wav are indistinguishable audibly. I thought it was only with the first gen Naim streamers that people found a difference, due to the very limited RAM and/or processor capability causing unpacking yo interfere with playing.

I still believe WAV have something about them re SQ, although I appreciate that gap has perhaps lessened with the current generation of streamers…however, this is all a separate subject that has been covered and debated over and er, over…!

Re the subject at hand, if you did want to stick with WAV, then most capable tagging software will allow you to embed the relevant metadata in ID3 form on the WAV files – it’s something of an old adage that WAV doesn’t or cannot carry metadata….Metadatics is one such good choice on Macs……SongKong is another (and multi platform) and also provides a fairly automatic process if you desired (incl embedding artwork into the files, although I prefer to keep artwork as a separate file in the folder, which is also a selectable preference option), simply pointing the software at the folder of files to be tagged……

Bear in mind, if you are using the Naim App for control, you will still experience some info display issues, even with files that are populated with extensive metadata fields…the Naim App just ignores the majority of them or at best doesn’t display correctly……

Hope this helps,
SC

If you use Asset as your upnp server, you can set it to transcode to WAV on the fly. This gives the advantages of FLAC - smaller size and easier metadata handling - with potential sound benefits of WAV.

You can rip to FLAC level 0 in dbpoweramp; there is no compression and so no unpacking to be done. It’s effectively WAV in a FLAC wrapper that holds the metadata.

If you wish you can rip to WAV with dbpoweramp and it will embed cover art and metadata without a problem.

FLAC level 0 is still compressed, just at the lowest level. There is also an Uncompressed level if you want it, which I believe is unique to DBpoweramp, but odd though it may seem, level 0 is not it.

I could hear a very slight difference, a matter of taste really. If I hadn’t heard wav I would have been more than happy with flac

Thanks for thoughtful reply, I use a windows pc so will check out SongKong. so far I’ve been using MP3tag which works well for flac, but not so good for wav

I do use the Naim app, I don’t find it brilliant, there doesn’t seem to be a shuffle function

Peter

thanks for both these contributions, I’ll check out the software at varying levels

Peter

I have tried this but I couldn’t get it to work

FLAC is designed to be a low workload for the processor that unpacks it for playback, keeping electrical noise low where it matters most. The hard work is in the compression, so choosing a higher level can take longer. Not usually a problem on modern hardware, but a little slower if you are ripping multiple CDs.

Bottom left of the Play Queue screen. Two squiggly arrows crossing.

Roger

That is very odd. I just set dbpoweramp to rip to WAV and it does the rest without any prompting or input from me…

Hi Chris

You’re correct. It’s actually “uncompressed” that I’ve used for ages. It appears in the same drop down list as the usual FLAC levels.

As I understand it, it makes no difference how much you compress flac. I’ve even heard that the more compression the better. All my rips are done at the standard level 5.

Agree, as I understand it, FLAC has to go thru the same unpacking stage no matter what compression level, even the ‘uncompressed’ level.
An audio OCD buddy has spent a lot of time comparing FLAC comp levels and eventually concluded no difference.

No surprise really.

FLAC is designed to load the compressor, not the decompressor.

So, in modern computing terms, very little difference on load to the streamer.

People forget that their streamers already pass everything through networking and DSP chips, the load of decompression should be irrelevant really.

1 Like